We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GOR in late August

London, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
GOR in late August

Hi, I'm planning a 3 week trip in Australia in August. Is it a silly idea to drive GOR in August weather wise? I keep seeing info that it would be too cold and rainy. Thanks for your advise!

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
6 replies to this topic
Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,903 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GOR in late August

Well not as miserable as the U.K. right now! Will be cold though and have short daylight hours.

Personally od be staying North for a August visit to Australia but I hate the cold and I fly half way round the world to escape it not experience it again. Could be dramatic scenery though.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GOR in late August

Don’t discount the GOR in winter as it has a different mood to what you experience in the warmer months and is one of my favourite times to get down there. The seascape becomes more dramatic and the waterfalls become quite spectacular. Just rug up and enjoy.

Www.visitgreatoceanroad.org.au

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GOR in late August

It wouldn’t be silly at all to drive the GOR but in winter you need 2 nights minimum in 2 locations and be prepared for wind and rain and temps in the low to mid teens and some single digit temps at times. If that doesn’t appeal, don’t go but winter does not affect where you can go, see and do for the most part, it’s nothing like a UK winter.

All th best.

Cebu Island...
Level Contributor
114 posts
400 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GOR in late August

No its not silly to drive it in Aug. There are several advantages the best one being less people. The winter weather also brings a different look. Just remember to take it easy driving if its wet.

Having been in London in February I dont think GOR temperature will feel too bad for you in August. The wind will be the factor, it will make it feel much colder so have a good windbreaker and rug up.

Daylight hours in August are shorter than summer, roughly 7.15am to 5.30pm, but still better than UK winter times.

Edited: 04 March 2018, 07:24
Logan City...
Level Contributor
17 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GOR in late August

We drove the GOR in August last year. Maybe we got lucky but the weather was fine. Dress appropriately for the weather and you should be ok. I wouldn't imagine that Victoria could throw up anything weather wise that you are not used to in the UK.

Mentioned in this post
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,614 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: GOR in late August

This will make you laugh a bit a couple of years ago we actually went to London in August to escape the prolonged cold weather we were experiencing in Geelong and along the GOR which was literally freezing and got word from home that they actually had snow falls at Lorne on the GOR which is indeed a very rare event.

All jokes aside the end of August is the end of our winter and the start of Spring you are quite likely to get some pleasant sunny days and although the weather will be in the mid teens and cold at night so long as you rug up you will really enjoy the GOR at that time of the year.

IMO at the end of a day exploring there is nothing quite like standing in front of a open fire in a Pub enjoying a meal and a warming drink during winter..

Enjoy planning your trip.

Mentioned in this post
Geelong
Geelong
City of Greater Geelong, Australia
Lorne
Lorne
Victoria, Australia
Reply to: GOR in late August
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted