We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Topic
Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Hi,

Our family of 4 including 2 young children will be going GOR in early Jun. On th last day, I’m planning to leave Warrnambool around 8am to go to Melbourne airport. Need to reach at 3pm. Planning a 1 hr to 2 hr stops at Colac and Geelong along the way. Can someone recommend where to stop at Colac (snack break) and Geelong (lunch break) for snacks, lunch and some shopping at these 2 places? Thanks!

9 replies to this topic
Melboune
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Others may be able to suggest places in Colac, but the freeway by-passes Geelong. It's quite diversion to go into Geelong. However, if you do, the Eastern Beach precinct is pleasant.

Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Colac is a reasonably sized town with the usual amenities. There is a range of food available in the way of Macca's KFC Subway and Cafe's its a good spot for a break and if I remember correctly there is a park in the main street with playground equipment. I have no specific recommendation other than park your vehicle and go for a wander around the town and see what you can find to eat.

Geelong is only about one hour away from Colac. There is a large shopping centre at Waurn Ponds with a large range of stores and cafe's that is close to the ring road. Alternatively stay on the ring road and take either the B140 or A300 exits. The B140 exit will take you into the centre of the city while the A300 will bring you out onto the Esplanade right on the bay and will take you into the city. There are two main shopping centres in the city Westfield plaza and Market Square both have a great range of shops cafe's and take away stores. Additionally our bay is in pristine condition there are a couple of playgrounds and a Carousel there is plenty of seating and its really pleasant just going for a walk along the cities waterfront.

Another option is to take the Lara exit off the highway on Geelong's northern outskirts grab some picnic food from one of the supermarkets in the town and head out to Serendip wet lands education facility on the edge of Lara and have a picnic before continuing on to Melbourne airport.

…vic.gov.au/explore/parks/serendip-wetlands-…

https://www.visitgeelongbellarine.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Thanks for all the info!!

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,948 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Just checking, Warrnambool is not your only overnight stop is it?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
34 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Hi!

No. I’m staying one night in Apollo Bay, one night in Port and one night in Warrnambool. Just that information on Colac and Geelong are more difficult to find online.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,948 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Good. That should be great trip. :-)

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
45 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Hi Everyone,

My wife an I will be doing a similar trip from Melbourne on the Great ocean road like Kite_12, leaving Melbourne on June 13th - we plan on spending two nights on the Great ocean road returning to Melbourne on June 15 - we would like to arrive by 3;00 - 4:00 pm - we will stay close to the airport and then take morning flight to Uluru. I have two questions;

- Greatly appreciate recommendation for night stops - each day we just want to arrive our night stops by early afternoon - currently we are thinking about Lorne and Warrnambool as night stops

- Return route back to the Melbourne airport - should we again take the Great Ocean road or is the drive inland worthwhile to change the scenery on our return

THX

California
Level Contributor
10,672 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

Personally, I would overnight at Apollo Bay and Port Campbell, then take the inland road back to Melbourne.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
3,843 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool

NHK, it would best best if you could start your own thread, as your circumstances are different to Kite's.

Reply to: Route back to Melbourne Airport from Warrnambool
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted