We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from Mayanabo

Kingston, Ontario...
Level Contributor
312 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Back from Mayanabo

I spent 3 months in Mayanabo (beginning of Jan thru to end of March). Sadly, Block 2 seemed to have problems with a lack of hot water once every 10 days or so. In Jan, we were without hot water for 4 days in a row. They just couldn't seem to get a handle on the fact that the gas tank needs to be changed periodically.

Another issue was frequent lack of drinks at the bars and restaurant. Many times I was told there was no more red wine after 1 glass. And seldom did they have coffee liqueur or brandy in the evenings. Once the daily allocation is finished, the staff seem to have no access to the inventory to replace what is needed. Very sad.

The grates around the pool were in dismal shape in January, but finally replaced in February. Trouble is, they replaced them with plastic, so as soon as someone stepped on them, they broke and it became dangerous again. But at least they tried.

Staff are still wonderful, which is what keeps me coming back. Food was OK (nothing special, but there was always something to eat). The grill in the evenings in the buffet always served some kind of roast meat (turkey, ham, pork, beef...). Try to convince the chef to let you have it straight from the roast rather than slicing it and then putting in on the grill - that makes all the meat so hard and dry that it becomes inedible.

It always surprises me that some tourists don't make any effort at all to learn a few words of Spanish, so they can explain what they want. One woman wanted scrambled eggs every morning from the grill in the buffet. She went through all sorts of pantomime every morning to explain - never taking two minutes to learn how to ask for it in Spanish. Oh well...

Anyway, overall a good 3 month stay.

12 replies to this topic
11. Re: Back from Mayanabo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 April 2017, 11:35

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Back from Mayanabo

Welcome back Solo. Three months is a long time :) I always enjoy reading your reviews because they are honest. Our son went through one of those plastic pool gratings in Cuba (not at Mayanabo) and cut his leg up pretty bad , ended up with an infection and on antibiotics when he got home. Hope they switch those eventually.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Reply to: Back from Mayanabo
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia