We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Irma

London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Irma

So they are saying .. that Cayo Coco could possibly lose some of its beaches and possibly resorts and Cayo Santa Maria will likely lose the causeway which will be devastating to tourism. The hurricane is expected to take a turn north over Varadero and actually go further west of Florida than expected so Florida and Georgia will be hit but the Atlantic coast may be spared of previous predictions.

Saw a picture of Santa Lucia taken recently, rain, high winds and trees bending ... so far so good. Here's hoping all will be well.

Mentioned in this post
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
Florida
Florida
United States
Georgia
Georgia
United States
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
The Atlantic Hotel & Spa
2,220 Reviews
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
#1 of 4 hotels in Playa Santa Lucia
Club Amigo Mayanabo
Club Amigo Mayanabo
#2 of 4 hotels in Playa Santa Lucia
Casa Martha Santana
Casa Martha Santana
#1 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Playa Santa Lucia
30 replies to this topic
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
1,169 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Hurricane Irma

From the Brisas SL Facebook page:

"For all the friends of the breezes Santa Lucia, the hotel suffered some damage but is already working to open the services on 28 September".

1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Hurricane Irma

I have some pictures of the Roc hotel, but I don't know how post it?!

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Hurricane Irma

This is from customer services:

Thanks to god my family and I are OK. in my house entered some water and it deteriorated me some clothes and other things but the most important is that we are ok. it destroyed many trees. The hotel suffered some damages. Now we are working to recover and to open the services September 28. Thank!!!!!!!!!!

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Hurricane Irma

saw a video of Hotel ROC the stage is gone, pool bar, most wood structures are flown in debris

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Hurricane Irma

wish for some pics, please. heard from yurina but still no real confirmation for re openng of any of the hotels. carol e. nor humanitarian aid or relief.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Hurricane Irma

To some of you on here , lots of pictures on Facebook.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
6,023 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Hurricane Irma

don't do facebook. far prefer TA! lol. caracol is up and running. 60 touristas from somewhere already there. too basd cubanacan and the ministry can't get the mess they created sorted out. carol e.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Hurricane Irma

hi there, can you tell me if the restaurant at coco beach is up and running?? I am coming soon and would love to have dinner there.

London, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,351 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Hurricane Irma

A friend of mine just returned this week and I asked her about Coco Beach and the restaurant on the beach "Luna Mar" and she said .....

"Coco Beach had a lot of damage the road is not open you have to go all the way around so we didn't go! They said Buccanero was destroyed but they were rebuilding! As for Luna Mar I'm not sure!"

I have other friends down there right now also and some more leaving on the 29th to go for 2 weeks.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
6,657 posts
1 review
Save Reply
30. Re: Hurricane Irma

It's a shame that the Bucanero restaurant and bar was destroyed during the storm... I absolutely love that place out at La Boca (Coco Beach). Hopefully it'll be back up and running after December 21st. Judi and I will be staying at the Brisas Santa Lucia resort during that time and it has always been a treat for us to also spend a day at playa coco and eating and drinking at the Bucanero. What a shame... that place was/is very special.

Terry

Mentioned in this post
Brisas Santa Lucia
Brisas Santa Lucia
2,058 Reviews
Cuba
Reply to: Hurricane Irma
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia