We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

Niagara Falls...
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

Just wondering about the state of the resorts since post hurricane Irma, Jose and Maria opening on Nov. 1 ??. Since there has been so much rain, I assume the drought is over but a bumper crop of mosquitoes ?. Are the beach bars functional ?

Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
#1 of 5 hotels in Playa Santa Lucia
Club Amigo Mayanabo
Club Amigo Mayanabo
#2 of 5 hotels in Playa Santa Lucia
Casa Martha Santana
Casa Martha Santana
#1 of 3 B&Bs / Inns in Playa Santa Lucia
13 replies to this topic
Panama City, Panama
Level Contributor
19,874 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

It was only Irma which affected Cuba, and I thought that the hotels in Santa Lucia have been open for weeks.

It is only Cayo Coco / Guillermo and Cayo Santa Maria that have been closed until now.

Mentioned in this post
Cuba
Cuba
Caribbean
Cayo Coco
Cayo Coco
Jardines del Rey Archipelago, Cuba
London, Canada
Destination Expert
for Playa Santa Lucia, Camaguey Province
Level Contributor
4,344 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

I have friends there right now, they said it's great...... nothing to worry about.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
for Camaguey, Playa Santa Lucia
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

they've had irma and another severe storm but seem to be up and running now with flites resuming. pretty pricey out of toronto though. carol e.

Toronto
Level Contributor
144 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

Just got back yesterday from a week at Gran Club. All is good. A few mosquitos around but no more than normal.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

do a review jb. how are the renos progressing? and is the a/c working in the buffet? thank you. carol e.

Montreal, Quebec...
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

is the dive shop SHARKS FRIENDS open since the hurricane ?

Province of Rimini...
Level Contributor
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

I would like to go some days from 23 november, which is the best hotel with the best beach now after irma

1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

I was there week of Nov. 9 - 22, 2017.

The 1st week was rain and more rain. The week of Nov. 15 -22 was glorious. Sunshine and not too humid. ROC Santa Lucia was great.

Sunwing did not bring in all the baggage and the Sunwing rep, Mirtha and Alex compensated 50 CUCs / day. Since I was there for two weeks, I did not mind not having my baggage for two day and got 100 CUCs spending money. The Sunwing reps were quick and efficient in handing out the cash. (Thanks Mirtha)

Did not see much damage at the hotel. The beach bar was up and running with it's thatch roof intact. Water was a bit cold in the ocean but par for Nov.

Caracol is still not open to Canadians but will be starting Dec. 21. I wonder why the hotel would want to loose money by not inviting Canadians and sticking to Itieye's only.

All in all, a good holiday.

Pickering, Canada
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
5,981 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

italian bravo doesn't seem to be able yo get a handle on things. at one point they wouldn't even let guests from the 3 other hotels in to visit. the euro Italians have not been impressed with the travel times, prices and amenities. guess some heads overseas will have to roll or the cuban ministry realizes what a terrible mistake they've made for the past 2 years before things change. contracts up soon so maybe things will change then. real problem booking out of toronto. thanks for the feedback. carol e. and prices on the playa are ridiculous

Edited: 27 November 2017, 12:21
Renfrew, Canada
Level Contributor
390 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?

You can book Caracol from Montreal with air Transat and Cubanacan since early November however, the package with Transat out of Toronto only starts late December. However, you can book by the night if you just buy your flight from Toronto. Not sure of the nightly price sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Montreal
Montreal
Quebec, Canada
Toronto
Toronto
Ontario, Canada
Reply to: Anybody in Santa Lucia week of Nov.1/17 since the opening ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Playa Santa Lucia
Recent Conversations