We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
163 reviews
Save Topic
Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Hi

I am due to stay at the ERC in May for 5 nights with my wife after a 2 week road trip in the US.

I would like to go flats fishing which I understand isn't available in the immediate area but have found an operator out of Cancun.

The problem I would have, therefore, is getting from the hotel to the fishing guide's place for 6 in the morning on the day of the outing ( a Sunday).

I have tried to look into using a taxi, I have contacted the hotel concierge via their website but had no reply and also messaged via facebook- nothing. How much would a taxi be from the hotel to Cancun and then back again later in the day? Can anyone advise? I have to be honest and say I am a little wary of the taxis there and being ripped off or worse.

Alternatively, I could maybe hire a small car for 24 hours. Is there a Car hire service at the hotel or one close enough that would deliver a car say for use from midnight to midnight in the period I need it? I have looked at car hire pricing online and it doesn't look bad but only able to get quotes for airport pick-ups which are no good. If I can't get an arrangement I can rely on I don't see any point in booking the trip ( which I need to do soon) and its likely to be my one and only chance to get out on an outing like this ever. Thanks for any advice/information you can offer.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
ATV, Ziplines and Cenote Combo Tour...
134 Reviews
from US$71.00*
Free Cancellation
5-in-1 Adventure in Cancun: Speed...
5 Reviews
from US$119.99*
Horseback Riding and Cenote Swim from...
90 Reviews
from US$77.00*
Free Cancellation
11 replies to this topic
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Clype - a couple of suggestions for you:

- try starting another thread entitled "Cost of taxi from ERC to ****, Cancun" with *** being the specific location that you need to meet your fishing operator. At the very least, someone should be able to give you an estimate. If I had to guess, I'd say about 600 pesos each way but I could be way off on that.

When taking a taxi in this part of the world, ALWAYS confirm the fare before you get in and NEVER get into a taxi that has more than just the driver in it. (Although it's the first report of it's kind that I've ever seen on these forums, there was a recent incident where a tourist was robbed by a cab driver and his accomplice who was already in the vehicle.)

- contact a few private transfer companies and ask them for a quote. Their websites are set up to provide automatic quotes for ground transfers from/to the airport as this comprises the bulk of their business but ANY private transfer company can help you out with this; you just need to reach out to them for pricing. FWIW, if you decide to go this route, note that whilst you can dictate the pick up time, it will be a pre-determined time; not just, "see you when you get back" kinda thing. I have no idea how tight a schedule fishing charters run on but suspect that taking at taxi back to your resort may be a better (as in, more convenient) option than a private transfer.

Car hire will cost you in the region of US$45 per day by the time you factor in all the additional insurance experienced renters recommend you buy. If going this route, you're going to want to check where you'll be able to park in Cancun and any cost that may be associated with that. I'd also suggest you read up on the scams perpetrated by car rental companies, gas stations and the local constabulary, all of which are aimed squarely at people who rent cars.

Hope this helps and happy fishing!

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Stirling, Scotland
Level Contributor
12 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Thanks for this. I have tried looking into private transfer firms like you say they all quote from the airport. I couldn't find any direct contact information. Most of the quotes seem to be through aggregation sites. There is one here on TA but it had a single poor review and it's website looks defunct.

I have to say you aren't filling me with confidence! I have been to the area before many years ago ( for our honeymoon) and that's the reason for our return, it's our 25th anniversary, but I don't recall it being such a shady sounding place! I know there has been a recent upswing in gang related violence but I wasn't expecting to be ripped off by car hire firms!

Illinois
Level Contributor
2,212 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Try Canada transfers

Usa transfers

Carm transfers

Nast transfers

They all have a “contact us” opportunity. Tell them what you need and they will get back to you in a few hours with a quote.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Ridgefield...
Level Contributor
400 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Maybe reach out to "entertainment plus". Kind of a weird name, but there a transportation and tour company. I have used them many times for hotel transfers with good results.

I see on their web site they list private tours to specific locations. But i imagine you could ask if they can customize for the fishing location you want.

http://www.entertainment-plus.net/contact

on the location safety. Yeah, its a thing. I recommend you do some research on the current situation, and go in with a plan to avoid taking any unnecessary risks. I would avoid car rentals or cabs for this reason, but I'm sure others would disagree.

Puerto Morelos...
Level Contributor
953 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Relax. You are over-thinking it. Either book a private transfer (I recommend USA Transfers to my guests), or just grab a taxi from ERC and another back to ERC.

USA Transfers: http://www.entertainment-plus.net/

Thousands of people do this every day, and no, this is not a "shady" area.

Mentioned in this post
USA Transfers
USA Transfers
8,377 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Calgary
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Cancun
Level Contributor
25,308 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

My apologies. Although I wouldn't call this a "shady" area in general terms, it's like many places the world over - you need to keep your wits about you and exercise common sence. The caution about getting into a taxi that has more than the driver in it is pretty sound advice the world over. Ditto confirming the fare in any cab that's not metered.

Edited: 30 March 2018, 21:22
Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
Level Contributor
29,897 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Needless stressing over an easy issue.

1) Exactly where in Cancun do you need to go?

2) What time?

3) Did you ask your guide about the taxi VAN price to Puerto Morelos?

4) Depending upon factors, I might get a taxi to the ADO bus stop on the highway, bus to downtown Cancun then a taxi to the meeting point...which is unknown.

Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
Puerto Morelos
Puerto Morelos
Riviera Maya, Mexico
Ado
Ado
622 Reviews
Cancun, Mexico
Woodstock, Canada
Level Contributor
928 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Clype...THOUSANDS of people use these transfer companies. I've used at least three of them for years now. They are in the business of assisting people to get from point A to B and back again. It's how most people get to their hotel or rental. For side trips you do need to contact them directly through their websites. However, as pointed out, you may find a taxi there from the resort and a recommended driver back from your fishing charter is easiest.. Everyone has a brother or cousin who is a taxi driver. (You can also ask the same driver to pick you up in ----- hours after you check with your captain how long you'll be out.) Either way, there are lots of people doing similar things everyday in this area.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

I think the issue for the OP is the fact he needs to get there by 6 in the morning. Although, there must be early flights out of Cancun. I would ask the ERC people to help you get a taxi at 5:30 or whatever that morning. I'm assuming ERC is a big resort. They should be able to help you.

Getting back is an easy taxi ride.

Edited: 02 April 2018, 02:35
Mentioned in this post
Cancun
Cancun
Quintana Roo, Mexico
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport for day out- struggling to get information

Go on the USA transfers site and email with them about what you need. Their web site is set up for airport pickup but they will reliably take you anywhere at any time.

Mentioned in this post
United States
United States
North America
Reply to: Transport for day out- struggling to get information
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted