We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Hubby and I are visiting Australia later this month and I'm trying to find out what the costs of things might be, so I can make a rough budget. I've done a search, but haven't found anything more recent than 2007, and it mostly relates to cost of living, ie: property rental etc.

Can anyone give me a rough guide for things like bottled water, groceries, fuel etc.? If it helps we're going to be visiting the East Coast (Cairns to Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne) and spending some time in the centre too.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
gk
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Really depends where you're going.

Cold bottled water: $2-2.50

Fuel: @ $1.30/L

You can find the prices of most grocery items with the supermarket's online shopping: Go here [ https://www.colesonline.com.au/ ] then type in a post code (Brisbane: 4000, Sydney: 2000, Melbourne: 3000), click "Start Shopping" and then search for the product you're after.

If it helps, I spend around $100 on groceries per week for 2 people in Brisbane City.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Hello there,

In Sydney ...

== bottled water is crazy expensive at stores and cafes, don't be surprised to pay $3 for a 600mL bottle; on the up side, you can get bottled water in supermarkets much more cheaply at around $1/litre

== grocery prices vary between the chain stores (Woolworths and Coles) and the smaller outlets; if you're self-catering, then I think two people could eat well for about $120 a week

== coffee prices are all over the place; in the Sydney CBD, a nice take-away flat white from a cafe would be around $3, less than that would be good value, anything more than $4 would be a bit expensive, but there are all sorts of coffees and all kinds of prices

== fuel can, and does, vary wildly, but to be on the safe side, I'd budget 130-140 cents per litre

The Coles shopping website is a good suggestion.

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
255 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Australia is a massive country, and as others have already said, prices will vary greatly - especially fuel. Different states have differnet taxes, and expect to pay more in the rural towns and smaller cities. But approximately $1.30 a litre would be a good overall estimate.

As for coffee, in Melbourne you will pay anything from $2.50 - $3.50 for a cup. Definately buy your bottled water from a super market, where you will pay less than $1 a bottle.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia
Melbourne
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
6,004 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

I meant to say, there is no reason why you need to buy bottled water in Australia. The water is very good quality. Why not buy a bottle and just refill it from the hotel's tap?

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Level Contributor
424 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Ain't that the truth Navy !!! After travelling Asia, the luxury of clean tap water at the twist of a handle is heaven :)

Iru

Ohh becca, I just stopped in for petrol and some groceries on the way home and paid 1.31 l for unleaded, 1.99 a loaf of multigrain bread, 2.60 for 2l milk and 58c for a 600ml water....

Edited: 02 June 2010, 07:21
Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,138 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

I have pretty blue coloured water when I fill my bath...I don't think debating the issue of tap water is high on the OPs list of priorities! She's just trying to determine budgets. Comparing the price of an item here to home will help do that.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Thanks for all the responses! Yes I will be drinking tap water quite happily, but I will need a bottle to begin with ;o) And you know what it's like when you're out an about - you can only carry so much around with you...

Braw is right - it's more just to get a feel for how prices compare to the UK.

I'll have a look at the Coles website.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
748 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Good advice above, but just thought I'd mention that in the centre of Australia you should expect things (especially fuel) to be expensive. Think more like $2 or even $2.50 a litre at some times of the year.

And if you can avoid it, I repeat the recommendation to not buy bottled water at a cafe - go to the Supermarket (Coles, Woolworths (NSW/QLD)/Safeway (VIC), IGA, Franklins, Foodworks or Aldi) - you can get larger bottles for more.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Red Centre
Level Contributor
821 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Hi,

I dream of fuel at $1.30.

Just looking at some of my receipts over the last couple of weeks.

In town here in Alice $1.47, and at a roadhouse about 2 hrs out of town $1.80.

A meat pie from the bakery around $5, small lunch plate at the food court $8, sushi lunch plate $6 (yes we have sushi!)

Happy travels.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,636 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Costs? Bottled water, a coffee etc.

Where are you travelling to when you're in Australia?

As mentioned costs of food and fuel vary depending on if you are in the city or the country.

Generally anything you buy at the "convenience" shops in a Service Station (petrol) will be very expensive. If you want to but bottled water, head to a supermarket.

Our major supermarket chains are Coles and Woolworths who seem to have the petrol stations under their banner as well as liquor outlets too. They win a lot of customers IMO when people buy $30 + of groceries and get 4 cents off per litre at their petrol stations - however there are independant petrol stations around that may offer a better price for fuel. Advertised / brochure specials for Coles start on Thursdays and "specials" for Woolies start on Monday.

Other grocery chains are Franklins, and IGA and there are less of them that the "Big 2". Aldi is opening up more stores and giving Coles and Woolies a run for their money and hence is more popular if you don't want "brand name" items and from the newspaper and TV shows I've seen, the cost of items is overall cheaper from other supermarkets. Specials for Aldi start on Thursday

If you are staying in a city, look for fresh fruit and vege markets such as Paddys in Sydney near Chinatown or the Victoria (?) Markets in Melbourne and there's a good one in Adelaide too - generally you can get very good quality fruit and veges at these places at a better price that supermarkets.

As for budget, it depends on what foodstuffs you put in your basket and whether or not you want "brand names" vs "no-frills" brands, and if you buy canned and frozen items or mainly fresh - it's hard to say what it might cost. For two people, our budget for meat, fruit, veges and supermarket items is around $120-140 per week with good cuts of meat etc. I hope this helps answer your question

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Sydney
Sydney
Victoria
Victoria
Australia
Melbourne
Melbourne