We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Vancouver, BC
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

I’m deciding on an area to stay, if I’m staying at the North Sydney area, do I have to go thru a toll each time I travel from north Sydney to CBD like the opera house or the rocks ? Google map should there is a toll but I’m not sure where is it , how

Much or can it be avoided ?

10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
27,768 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Going from North Sydney to the CBD, do you really need to drive? You have multiple public transport options

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,927 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

IS there a reason you want to drive into the city instead of taking public transport? Where are you going to park your car once there? That’s going to be a lot more expensive than a toll.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,127 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

As others said, why drive tot eh CBD? It makes no sense to me.

But to answer your question, there re 2 easy into the CBD from North Sydney, the Tunnel and Harbour Bridge. You pay toll on both.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,461 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Why drive over the Bridge in traffic (yes there is a toll going into the city) ?

Where will you park the car (and up to $50 per day) ?

Why not catch the train or even walk across the Bridge ?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,601 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

South going traffic pays a toll on the harbour bridge & tunnel.

As others have said, it makes no sense whatsoever to drive into the CBD if that is your sole destination. From North Sydney, take train, bus, ferry from McMahons Point, or Milsons Point -or do the scenic walk across the bridge.

Edited: 27 May 2018, 14:55
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
193 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Hello

On the train travelling from North Sydney into the city only takes 5 - 10 minutes. It is a very easy and quick trip, much cheaper than using a car.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,733 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Drtokyo makes an excellent point. Even if you avoid the toll, the parking fees will be far greater anyhow. If you are driving it is possible to avoid the toll, you just have to be prepared to do plenty of extra driving. I think you would have to head west, and drive a pretty round about route.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,127 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

The closest round about route would be via Lane Cove and Gladesville Bridge. That is very long detour to avoid a toll, not to speak of traffic if in peak morning time.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,230 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

As others have said, yes there is a toll on the Harbour Bridge and the Harbour Tunnel when heading into the CBD. Going back to North Sydney there is no toll on the bridge. It can be avoided with a 25-30 minute detour via the Gladesville and Anzac Bridge. It could take an hour to drive into the city though. Again as others have said, you wouldn’t be driving anyway, you’d take the train, bus or ferry. Much cheaper and quicker.

All the best.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,468 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD

Bike, or walk.

Reply to: Any toll from North Sydney to CBD
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted