We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road map

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
305 posts
138 reviews
Save Topic
Road map

Any suggestions for a decent road map covering the area between Macquairie University and CBD?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Road map

UBD, Satnav or Google Maps.

Leyte Island...
Destination Expert
for Cebu City, Cebu Island
Level Contributor
11,477 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Road map

Copy and paste this into your browser

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/Circular+Quay,+Sydney+NSW/Macquarie+University,+Sydney+NSW+2109/@-33.8243555,151.125807,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12ae69d26aafad:0x7f9b21ebd5b57ce0!2m2!1d151.2108839!2d-33.861756!1m5!1m1!1s0x6b12a6727337c5e9:0x61bd52277696dfc2!2m2!1d151.1126498!2d-33.7738237

Edited: 27 May 2018, 22:26
Mentioned in this post
Quay Restaurant
Quay Restaurant
1,817 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Road map

As you seem to still be keen on driving from Macquarie Uni area into the CBD despite all the suggestions to the contrary in a previous post, the easiest most direct route is via the M2, Lane Cove Tunnel, Gore Hill F'way and Bridge.

You just get on the M2 by the Uni and follow the signs, you will not even notice the names of the roads changing as it is a major multi-lane highway/tunnel system, extremely well signposted.

It costs $10+ each way in tolls (and parking when you get there). …nsw.gov.au/sydney-motorways/…mobile.html

As said before, depending on the time of day you drive traffic can be horrendous.....this from my experience of the route on a daily basis- luckily going against the peak hour traffic flow.

Negotiating the CBD in a car is beyond horrendous and avoided by most locals at all costs if at all possible.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,449 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Road map

"Negotiating the CBD in a car is beyond horrendous and avoided by most locals at all costs if at all possible."

I witnessed someone have a nervous breakdown in Sydney traffic last week. Got lost in the George st roadwork diversions. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,282 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Road map

Most locals don't drive into the city - but tourists are fearless! Or better drivers than we are!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,725 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Road map

I used to drive into the CBD, but when I realised that train fares are cheaper than parking, even on weekends, I saw the light and realised I was being stupid.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Road map

LovaBrug is apparently an international student concerned with the cost of public transport for a 3 month stay. At the same time they are resisting advice to avoid driving from the Uni into town, despite the difficulty of negotiating the CBD and that one day's drive via the easiest most direct route will cost more that a weeks Opal fares, in tolls and parking.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,733 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Road map

Before you firm up your plans to drive in to the CBD, have a look at www.parkopedia.com for Sydney, plug in your destination and the first date you plan to travel and be prepared to have a heart attack at the cost of parking in the CBD.

Take the jolly train!!!!

Cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
273 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Sydney
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,181 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Road map

Go for it, LoveBrug! it's a brilliant idea!! You'll find reading a paper map propped against the steering wheel while negotiating the traffic a particularly thrilling experience.

Just ignore George Street; it doesn't exist any more.

Enjoy your trip. Best of luck. Don't forget to report back about how it all went. :)

Oostkamp
Level Contributor
305 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Road map

All: where in my post is mentioned that I want to drive in that area?

I just asked for a roap map, because I like to see on printed paper the area where I am.

Many "thanks" for all helpfull info.

Poida69 suggested UBD - any specific map number?

Reply to: Road map
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted