We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Hi! We are a family of 2 adults & 2 children traveling to Sydney end of April. We'll be staying for 4 whole days at the Hyde Park Inn w/c has a free CBD bus right by its doorstep. We plan to visit Opera House, Pylon lookout, Rocks, Taronga / Featherdale, Bondi, DH, fish market and the Blue Mountains. If time permits, perhaps Manly too. We have 2 luggage on wheels upon arrival. What should be the most cost effective way for our transport in Sydney? Should I get the MyMulti pass or just train / taxi from airport or pay per trip? After checking the MyMulti, I'm still confused. Is Sunday very busy in train stations for going to the Blue Mountains?

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Hyde Park Inn
Hyde Park Inn
1,107 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
254 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Pylon Lookout at Sydney Harbour Bridge
Pylon Lookout at Sydney...
1,530 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,871 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

On Sunday you can travel anywhere as a family (adults + kids) on Sydney transport for $2.50 per person which is a great deal to go to Blue Mts. The Daytripper would cost you for 4 people $54 so save $44.

My opinion is that depending on age of children you should be able to free bus/walk to Opera House, Bridge, DH, Rocks.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Sydney
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Hello,

How young are your children? Children aged 3 and under travel for free on Sydney Buses. The special family ticket available on a Sunday, see: sydneybuses.info/tickets/family-funday-sunda… This ticket type would be especially good, as dytokyo mentioned, for a trip to the Blue Mountains.

You should be aware that the DayTripper ticket is being replaced by the MyMulti DayPass, which has the same transport coverage. The adult ticket costs $20 for the day.

If you buy individual tickets for buses in the city, you will need to get your ticket before you ride: buses in the city are 'prepay' only between 7am and 7pm.

As for transport from the airport to the city, don't catch the train. With four people, it works out cheaper to catch a taxi (and is more convenient in terms of luggage etc.)

The city centre is very compact and walking between places is easy, which will save you money.

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Combine Darling Harbour and the Fish Markets into one day... buy the $37.50 family monorail/tram daypass

There's a monorail station right near your hotel (at World Square) - you'll be able to easily get to all the attractions without long walks. Also, the Fish Markets is served by the tram line.

You may want to use the daytripper on another day (it'll cost you $50 for the family) - worth it, if you want to fit Coogee, Bondi + Watson's Bay into one day - or the zoo, Spit to Manly walk + Manly

I agree that the weekly passes are not worth it

Mentioned in this post
Darling Harbour
Darling Harbour
9,374 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Paddington Markets
Paddington Markets
245 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Coogee
Coogee
Randwick, Australia
Bondi
Bondi
Greater Sydney, Australia
Watson's Bay
Watson's Bay
2,766 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Blue Mountains...
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Travel to the Blue Mountains on Sundays is very easy. There may be an increase in travellers going to the Blue Mountains but the trains are never full and as you will be leaving from were the trains start from, your family will have no trouble getting a seat.

If you do decide to go to the World Heritage Blue Mountains Area it will be one of the highlights of your holiday.

It is a very beautiful place to visit.

Patrick

Blue Mountains Concierge

Mentioned in this post
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

By the way, our kids are ages 5 & 9. How much could be the approx. taxi fare from international airport to Hyde Park Inn considering that our flight is arriving around 6 am?

I think we'll go ahead with the Blue Mtns. on Sunday. I'm tempted to take those all inclusive full day tours to BM w/ Featherdale but after reading here, it seems we can manage to go on our own. I'll have to skip Featherdale though & just go to Dreamworld in GC where we'll see the Aussie animals too.

Mentioned in this post
Hyde Park Inn
Hyde Park Inn
1,107 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,643 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

You can still see featherdale... get off the train at Blacktown, get a bus/cab to featherdale and back and resume your journey to the mountains.

Its all included in your $2.50pp family funday sunday ticket

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

How much time should we spend at Featherdale if we decide to go considering we still have to do Echo Point & Scenic World at the Blue Mtns.? We want to be back in the CBD by 5pm.

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
254 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
392 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Featherdale is tiny; if you decide to visit, you won't need to spend more than an hour or two.

You might want to reconsider the getting back to the CBD by 5pm requirement. On a Sunday afternoon, you'd be looking at a travel time of 2 hours to get from the Blue Mountains back to the CBD, so getting back by 5pm would mean levaing by 3pm - which doesn't allow much time.

Also, in planning how many things you want to do, remember that on Sundays public transport services run less frequently, which can make travel times between places longer (as you might need to wait around for trains and buses for longer). You can get details of timetables at:

http://131500.com/

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Sydney Hotel CBD
Sydney Hotel CBD
254 Reviews
Sydney, Australia
Blue Mountains
Blue Mountains
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
15 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost effective transport in Sydney for 2 adults & 2 children

Thank you for all the advice. I'm so glad I posted my questions here. =)