We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas/Daintree question

melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas/Daintree question

Just your opinions please. 7 nights in Port Douglas with day trip to Daintree or 5 nights PD and 2 nights in Daintree. I have a couple of nights in Cairns so dont need any additional time there from PD. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,383 posts
1,537 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

HI,

I would do 2 nights Daintree - depending on your budget u cannot go past Silky Oaks Lodge overlooking the Daintree River. - 5 nights PD will give u a lovely experience.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

As Ellemay says Silky Oaks is beautiful but it actually overlooks the Mossman River just north of the little town of Mossman.

If you really want to explore "the Daintree" I'd suggest basing yourself further north, either in the Daintree Village area on the south side of the Daintree River or north of the river towards Cape Tribulation.

www.destinationdaintree.com has loads of information about accommodation, tours, driving times etc. etc.

4-5 nights in PD and 2-3 in the Daintree would be ideal, depending on your interests!

melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

Thanks for the replies, thats what i was hoping to do so will go with that. Will have a look at the accomodation mentioned. Cheers.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

We did five days in Pt Douglas and two in the Daintree.

Cockatoo Hill Retreat was where we stayed and it is beautiful with unspoiled views.

However, very limited on site food and drinks so if you are staying in the Daintree I recommend a shopping stop in Port Douglas before you cross the river.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

Definitely a couple of nights in the Daintree, Cockatoo Hill Retreat is breathtaking otherwise do a little bit of research and you're sure to find an awesome holiday home to suit your budget that will blow away any resort.

The Daintree is so much more magical when you spend a couple of nights there and listen to the sounds of the rainforest as you drift off to sleep and you get a much better sense of the world's oldest rainforest.

Happy travels...

melbourne
Level Contributor
108 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

Thanks again for the info, almost have it all sorted now. Looking forward to the trip, nearly 40 years since I have been up that way, wonder if it has changed much!!!!

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,440 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Douglas/Daintree question

Another vote for a night or two in Daintree. On our last trip we did 7 nights in PD but that was primarily because we got a better rate by staying 7 nights in PD.

Reply to: Port Douglas/Daintree question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted