We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

geelong
Level Contributor
106 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

I really wanted to go on Wavelength but feel my 8 year old might not cope with rough conditions with no respite as late June can be quite windy they advised me. So do I choose large quicksilver boat to get to the outer reef with all the crowds or take the shorter trip to the low isles with Sailaway? Pros and cons??

5 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,835 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

Pros of Sailaway--which I have done with a 9-year-old: 1) smaller number of passengers, 2) opportunity to spend time on a beach and explore the island 3) can snorkel off a beach, 4) good chance of seeing sea turtles

Cons of Sailaway: 1) not as much coral or sealife at the Low Isles as at the Outer Reef (but not excessively less)

Pros of Quicksilver: 1) Other things to do besides snorkeling 2) large platform for moving around

Cons of Quicksilver: 1) Lots of other people! 2) snorkeling in deep water--if not a confident swimmer

geelong
Level Contributor
106 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

Thanks longhorn74,

I have decided to go with Sailaway in Port Douglas and then we are off to the Daintree for 3 nights so have booked another 1/2 day snorkelling with ocean safari to one of the outer reefs as the boat trip is only 25 mins from cape tribulation...so hopefully that all works out. Thanks for your help

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,835 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

I hope you enjoy your day with Sailaway as much as we did!

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,158 posts
500 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

Sounds like a good compromise, I have never taken a boat out of Daintree so will be interested in your experience.

Port Douglas
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??

Both good options, Low Isles close and sheltered even on stronger winds. Average 18knts SE. Sailaway Full Day perfect for all ages, departing at 8.30 rather than 10.00am. Small groups, personal in water guiding with excellent marine bios included and authentic sailing all makes a very relaxing trip and special memories with family and friends. Turtles soft corals and giant clams a features as are some friendly sharks, glass bottom boat and of course idyllic island. Family rate offered, suggest book ahead as popular and can book out days ahead in season. Enjoy whatever suits you best!

Reply to: Sailaway or Quicksilver with 8 year old??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas