We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

My friends and I are headed to AUS next March to celebrate my 40th birthday. We want to relax at the beach or sight see during the day but also go out at night for some drinks and maybe a bit of dancing. We are not really into big scenes, being Los Angeles natives were actually looking to get away from that. I am looking at where to book the house and would appreciate some advice about the nightlife in these cities. I just don't want my single friends to be bored, they want to mingle!

Also, how far is Oak Beach from Port Douglas and does anyone know if cabs or ridesharing services are in this area... we've been stranded before (at rental houses when cabs won't show up when it's time to leave to go out and at bars after the night is over) and do not wish to repeat the experience. If reliable transport to and from drinking establishments isn't available, that will narrow down the houses I'm looking at.

Thanks so much!!

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,129 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

Oak Beach (I have stayed there several times) is isolated/very quiet and you need a hire car. Stay in PD (for me smaller, nicer, more upmarket but not sure about dancing/nightlife) or Cairns (will have nightlife but geared more to backpackers).

Must it be a holiday house ? PD has holiday apartments with pools. Note March is stinger season so no swimming off the beach hence get a pool wherever you stay.

http://www.beachvillas.com.au/HOME.3.0.html

Edited: 28 April 2017, 06:46
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,266 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

There are plenty holiday houses in Port Douglas, walking distance from the main street. We stayed in one last June and have booked a different one for June again. The one we booked for this June is only about 5-10 minutes walk from the main street, right at the beach and has a heated pool.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,571 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

PC has no nightlife really. PD is the nicest place in my opinion with the nicest beach but its nightlife is low key (maybe a few people dancing to a band in the pub on a Fri/Sat night between 10-12 and that's about it).

Cairns has the most nightlife but it is more backpacker focused and has no beach and is the least attractive of these places.

Also be aware that March is the most cyclone prone month, is in the wet/monsoon season and is stinger season (so no swimming at beaches without a stinger suit - and my experience of the wet season seas up there is that they are churned up and grey/brown due to all the run-off from the rivers etc). These factors do not apply south of about Gladstone.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,378 posts
1,537 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

Another vote for staying in Port Douglas - better nightlife too. As mentioned there are plenty of apartments / hotels / villas in Port Douglas.

Shuttle buses run to all the hotels & also to villa's in Port Douglas so u can easily go out & have fun & catch the shuttle bus home. Taxi's are available in PD.

I recently stayed for a week in PD with the "girls " & we used the shuttle bus every night from our rented villa in PD. ( no problems at all ) ... drivers are very friendly & will go out of their way to assist you.

Edited: 28 April 2017, 15:02
Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

Cairns is the only one of the three with much nightlife if you mean more than dinner and nice but quite bars. Love PD but if your looking for clubs with live dance music then Cairns is for you.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

Hi Em, great option to book a holiday house for your girls trip, there's literally hundreds to choose from in and around Port Douglas and if there's a few of you it will work out cheaper as well as better.

Oak Beach is 10-15 minutes south of Port Douglas, there's plenty of independent shuttle buses in Port these days that operate at all hours so it might be a little bit more expensive but you won't get left stranded. Port Douglas Transfers owner Lance has also just started the first Uber service in Port Douglas and surrounds and is a great option if available, very friendly and knowledgeable.

Port Douglas has fabulous restaurants, equal to anything you will find in major cities but the night life isn't the most exciting. If you're out after midnight you'll have to go to the Iron Bar and drink shots of tequila with the locals.

Happy travels...

Houston, texas, USA
Level Contributor
2,438 posts
519 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

Renting a holiday house is an excellent suggestion. Have always rented myself but have never been to the iron bar after midnight.

El Segundo...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach

I really appreciate everyone's input! We rented a house and it sounds like there is enough night life to keep us busy but not overwhelmed!

Reply to: Port Douglas Nightlife vs Cairns vs Palm Beach
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted