We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Low Isles Tour

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Low Isles Tour

I will be traveling to Port Douglas in the end of September and staying for 10 days. While there I would like to spend a couple days experiencing the reef. I plan to book a tour with Wavelength as they seem highly recommended. I was also thinking about booking a trip to the low isles. However, from what I have read it seems the low isles are not as impressive as the outer reef. Is it still worth taking a tour there? If so which company is best?

2 replies to this topic
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,819 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Low Isles Tour

On our first trip to Port Douglas, we did a trip to the Low Isles with Sailaway to give our kids a chance to try snorkeling from a beach before our trip to the Outer Reef with Wavelength. We enjoyed our trip with Sailaway, but the coral and sea life at the Low Isles is not as good as what you will find at the Outer Reef with Wavelength.

If you just would like a relaxing sail on a catamaran with some snorkeling, beach time and a glass bottom boat ride thrown in, then book a trip to the Low Isles. But if you want some serious snorkeling, then book another Outer Reef trip in addition to Wavelength. Based on my many Outer Reef trips, I think Wavelength is the best, but there are other very good companies.

Port Douglas...
Level Contributor
29 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Low Isles Tour

Hi, while the snorkelling is much better on the Outer Reef with Wavelength, Low Isles is still well worth a visit.

There are a number of ways you can get there, on a magnificent sailing catamaran, a jet boat or even a Chinese junk that looks like a pirate ship.

There are also snorkelling charters that include stand-up paddleboarding and tubing, fishing or parasailing if you're feeling adventurous.

The island itself is pure bliss to kick back and relax or explore the rich history of Low Isles on the nature walk to the lighthouse.

Happy travels.

Reply to: Low Isles Tour
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas