We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach swimming in late June

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Beach swimming in late June

Hi Everryone, looking forward to our time in Port Douglas next month but curious about beach safety - crocs in particular. Should we plan on spending any time at the beach or is that too dangerous? We would love some downtime with our two teenagers but want to know if we're better off staying at our hotel pool (Ramada). Don't want to o be paranoid, just want to keep the kiddos safe. 😊 Thanks for your input!

4 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,553 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach swimming in late June

I've swum at the beach there before and there were plenty of others around doing the same thing. I understand the crocs keep to the backwater (or so a local told me - this was a few years ago now).

However there are croc warning signs at Cape Tribulation further up the coast.

Coincidentally I will be there next week so can confirm, but I'm sure there are others on here who have been there more recently.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,083 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach swimming in late June

No problems but don't swim at night from the beach. The kids will be safe.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,228 posts
150 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach swimming in late June

We were there in June last year and swimming at the beach. Just be vigilant and use common sense.

Coincidentally we stayed in a holiday home right next door to Ramada Resort. My wife and daughter went to Ramada for a massage and tried the pool. It wasn't heated and the water quite cool, which may not be an issue for you.

Simi Valley...
Level Contributor
14 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach swimming in late June

Thank you all for your replies! We prefer the beach over the pool - particularly a cold one! 😬 We'll ask around a bit when we get there but will hopefully enjoy some beach time. Thanks again!

Reply to: Beach swimming in late June
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted