We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
258 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

We will be traveling to the area July 3 to July 11 after 4 days in Sydney. "We" consists of two families with two parents each and a 17 year old, 15 year old and 14 year old. Each family is getting their own rental car and room. In PD we are staying in the Lazy Lizard Motor Inn and in Trinity we are in two different beach front condos based on the recommendations I got here last year. Yes, I know TB is quiet and most prefer PD, but after a lot of research and looking at Google Earth we decided that our family would like the downtime and quiet of TB at the end. We really wanted to end the trip in a beachfront property.

I'm not a day by day itinerary person, but more of a list type - where I make reservations and plan for the activities that book up and then have a list of other things we "want" to do then decide on a day by day basis what everyone is up to. I know we are during school holiday so we need to book our hot air balloon rides and reef trips. We would like to do two reef trips, if possible. Also, we are ending the trip at TB so we can hopefully get some relaxing beach time before we head home. We don't want to return feeling exhausted.

Here are the things we need to book:

Reef trips

Balloon Rides (adults only)

To-Do List

Mossaman Gorge (from PD)

Cape Trib/Daintree (from PD)

Hartleys (from Trinity)

Atherton Tablelands (from Trinity)

Here are my questions:

1. Should we do the hot air balloon ride from TB or PD? My birthday is on July 4 when we are in PD so I was thinking of doing it from there, but then I realized that it might be closer from PD?

2. Would teens like the PD Wildlife Habitat? Any experiences that are must do for that age?

3. We were thinking of doing one reef trip from PD with Wavelength and another while staying in TB. What operator should we use for the second? Or should we go back to PD for Wavelength?

4. Any restaurants/sights in either PD Or Trinity that teens would especially like that we are missing?

5 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8,917 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

No direct pick up for reef from TB so need to go to Cairns or PD (Wavelength plus others). TB will be quiet and beach not as good as PD.

You should book Wavelength as school holiday time us (so busy0.

Edited: 30 May 2017, 07:25
Wake Forest, North...
Level Contributor
258 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

Totally fine with going to Cairns for reef pickup, we will have a car.

We realize TB is quiet and that is EXACTLY why we picked it.

What operator is recommended out of Cairnes if we do reef from TB?

Oz
Level Contributor
12,507 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

Hi,

The zip lining is enjoyed by adults, children and even teens if you can separate them from their phones/tablets.

http://www.junglesurfing.com.au/

All would enjoy the croc cruise.

Cheers,

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
847 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

Hi Jennifer, I am sure you will love staying at Trinity Beach - check out the other northern beaches as well - they are all different! I have a few more ideas for you - when in Port Douglas go to the Iron Bar Restaurant for the cane toad racing (just google Iron Bar Port Douglas). The Rainforest Habitat is lovely, but I think the kids would get more out of Hartley's and the different shows etc. there. If you have time go for a drive to Crystal Cascades and/or Lake Placid. Lake Placid has a lovely view over a wide area of the Baron River and a nice Italian/Pizza Restaurant, but check their opening times (Alessandro's). Take the kids to watch the bungy jumping at AJ Hackett (not far from Trinity). Here's another one - Cairns Kart Hire & Lasertag (on the Highway heading in towards Cairns) - they have just opened Escape Rooms, fun for all the family. In June, the new Cairns Aquarium is scheduled to open - should be amazing.

Sorry, can't help you with the Balloon ride, but I did notice that Cairns Hot Air Balloon does pick up from Trinity Beach and they do combination trips with Fitzroy Island. Wondered if you had given consideration to doing one Reef Trip and one trip to either Fitzroy or Green Island? Have a look on line and see what each offers?

Whether you go to the Reef from Port Douglas or Cairns doesn't really matter - they all essentially go to the same place. The weather is the biggest determinating factor - check the Reef conditions before you book anything. There are many boat operators to choose from and depends if you want beach snorkelling, diving, pontoon with sea walk etc. Have been on many of them over the years and I don't think there is a bad operator, really depends on your preferences.

Nearly all tour operators offer pick up from Trinity Beach, but you willl have to pay for it. You will be better to pay for parking for the day.

Lots of eating places at Trinity - often go to the Trinity Tavern - they have game consoles there for the kids. They were totally rebuilding all the corner cafe etc. when I was there a couple of months ago, not sure if it is finished yet - will check it out soon.

Have a wonderful time - you will wish you stayed longer!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)

For the balloon flights from PD, just be aware that you will need to travel to the meeting point yourself (Mareeba), so that means driving 80kms in the dark, leaving PD at 3am to meet just before 4am and then spend 2 hours standing around before you get your flight. Definitely worth it, but just be aware of this, as the company doesn't tell you this.

Reply to: 8 day Itinerary (4 day PD/ 4 Days Trinity Beach)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Port Douglas