We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving in Australia

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Driving in Australia

In the US yellow line on the road mark the center of two way traffic, I seen pictures and video noticed that Australia road use white line to mark the center of two way traffic, I'm correct ?

this will be my second time driving on the left side of the road, my first was in Cayman island 20+ years ago, my wife will be next to me to remind me stay on the left side of the road..kkkk..

8 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
708 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving in Australia

Yes, we use white lines. If you are not comfortable with driving then there are other options. Where are you planning to drive to and from and for how long. Some cities are just not worth the hassle.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
155 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving in Australia

Hi TonyNG,

It's probably a good idea to familiarise yourself with Australian road rules before getting behind the wheel. Furthermore, the different states and territories of Australia have different law, so laws in Queensland might not entirely be the same as say, New South Wales.

https:/…road

The "road markings" tab of the above link might answer any questions you might have about the white lines.

Good luck!

Edited: 29 September 2017, 13:43
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,250 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving in Australia

Two white lines indicates that you may not cross the lines to overtake another vehicle. The normal centre line is one white line, usually broken, and this may be crossed to overtake, if it is safe.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,539 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving in Australia

Port Douglas (Qld) road markings (and yes, white colour)

https:/…lines

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
6,483 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving in Australia

Just a note on our speed limits, policing thereof & fines which may arrive in the post with the credit card bills & wipe the holiday glow from the faces of the careless & cavalier.

We take our speed limits & other road rules very seriously in Australia. There is no margin of tolerance over the maximum speed posted on roadside signs. If it says 100kph & the speed camera, roadside speed check or roving Traffic Police clock you at 103kph, prepare to be fined.

The upside of this & other rules like wearing seat belts is that we have reduced our road injury & deaths to one of the world's lowest.

Do have a good look at the Roundabouts section on the links above.

They are very good traffic facilitators, but can be a bit intimidating if you're not used to them.

Edited: 29 September 2017, 15:36
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
22,643 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving in Australia

And if there is one solid white line and one broken white line, if the solid white line is on your side of the road you may not overtake, but oncoming traffic may overtake, so be aware that someone driving in the opposite direction may be overtaking in your lane. If you want to overtake, you have to wait until the broken white line is on your side.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
83 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving in Australia

Thanks for the information, the rule of the road similar in both country.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,904 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving in Australia

Yes they are. We have driven >100,000kms in the US with no problems whatsoever.

Once you get your head around driving on the other side of the road its all pretty much the same - as it is in Europe and Africa and............

Reply to: Driving in Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted