We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Hello,

Needing some help from the experts please! Have read many, many reviews and websites about Port Douglas and Palm Cove and am completely confused now!! :(

I am looking for accommodation with a first preference for Port Douglas but will consider Palm Cove if that better fits our wish list.

We are looking for:

* Large, clean (& newly refurbished if possible) resort style property with large pool and spacious grounds/gardens

* 4-5 star

* Buffet breakfast

* Rooms that can accommodate a rollaway bed next to the main bed

* Self contained - mini kitchenette ok

* Within walking distance to restaurants and shops

We like:

* Dining out at nice restaurants but like the options of making some meals in our room

* We will do some touring around (crocodile farm; Daintree forest and Cape Tribulation) but enjoy relaxing in the resort by the pool

* Day spa treatments for Mum!

* Great to have shopping nearby but not overly essential

We will have a hire car so we can use that to get around. We are a family of 3 with young child.

Budget up to $300 per night. Planning to travel in January 2018.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies to this topic
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,180 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Basically, you can get all types of accom at both places, so it really comes down to how close to the action you want to be.

For me, PD is better suited to a "lay by the pool doing not much at all" type holiday, as it is much further away from all the attractions than PD is.

PD has much more shopping and restaurants/cafes, as well as Coles for self catering, and gives you far less travel time to and from places like Mossman Gorge and Daintree. I like to stay close to Macrossan St which is walking distance to the shops/restaurants, and also walking distance to Four Mile Beach.

I would choose the town first, and then find the best accom option based on your budget/preferences.

cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,538 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

At PC more chance of getting a property just over the road from the beach. But for me the beach is limited (smaller at high tide). PC might be cheaper and will be quieter than PD.

PD just offers more to see and do - beach, town, marina, walks, shops, access to reef.

Note January is stinger season so no swimming at beach so make sure you a place with a pool - it will be hot and humid.

Buffer breakfast will be limited to better hotels (remember there is no such thing as a free one).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Thanks for your reply Sweet Biscuit. That is my thinking as well about the main area of Port Douglas too.

Can you recommend any good resorts in the main town of PD? I stayed there almost 20 years ago - in a corner resort across the road from the pub with the cane toad races - but would image there has been lots of change since then...

I have looked at Sheraton Mirage, QT, Ramada, Oaks Lagoon & Sea Temple but they are not near Macrossan St.

Ones closer to Macrossan St that I have found are The Beach Terraces, Mantra Heritage, Mantra in the Village, Verandahs, Meridian, Peppers Beach Club, Mandalay - yes, I am overwhelmed with the options.

Are there any properties that are highly recommended?? Would appreciate any feedback/opinions about in town properties.

Thanks again.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,492 posts
1,583 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

If u have a car I'd be staying at the Sheraton Mirage - has direct beach access & has been totally renovated. The pools are amazing..... which you need in stinger season.

For Palm Cove - which makes an excellent last night stay if catching a plane - lovely beach with fab restaurants. Stay at the Reef House - opposite the beach - boutique style.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
8,180 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Agree with staying at Palm Cove on the last night.

Re PD resorts, my budget is not quite as high as your budget - we stay in "family style" accom.

That said, I snuck in and looked at Peppers, and I really like the location, as it is walking distance to Macrossan St and rather nice. Beachfront Terraces location is great, but not sure what the pool is like.

Mantra Heritage does not sound like what you are looking for. Location is smack in the "suburban" bit, admittedly short walk to anywhere, but no nice outlook. Mantra in the Village is similar. We have stayed at Mantra Portsea and enjoyed it, as not too far from town. I still think Peppers is the go if you want "toddling/waddling distance" from bars/restaurants, but Mantra Portsea is not much further.

I did stay at Sheraton Mirage many many many years ago, and have also stayed at the GC one. They are lovely resorts, but the location just doesn't do it for me for either - I want to be walking distance to the action, because nothing says "tropical holiday" more than a few cocktails after dinner, which makes the car a problematic option.

cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
60 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove

Thank you everyone for all your subsequent replies. Apologies for my "disappearance" - family matters arose that required me to switch off from holiday planning.

Peppers is the ideal resort but unfortunately the rates were just a tad too high. A similar case with Sheraton but they didn't have a kitchenette apart from their top suites/penthouses.

I had shortlisted Paradise Links , QT, Pool Resort, Ramada (no kitchenette unless you are a time share holder and therefore can then access their apartments) and Sea Temple.

I have booked QT - deciding factors were the buffet breakfast on site (yes, happy to pay for this), self contained kitchenette, room serving, nice pool area and most significantly - a great deal on the Bon Voyage website!!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Reply to: Accommodation in Port Douglas vs Palm Cove
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted