We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reef Trip with a 5 year old

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Reef Trip with a 5 year old

We have a 5 year old son and would like to do a reef trip. Any suggestions on which one might suit. I have done the Sailaway Low Isles trip before and don't really think it would be great for kids?? Any other suggestions. I don't really fancy 1000's of people either.

Any other suggestions of things to do with a 5 year old would be welcomed.

Thanks

Rebecca

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
1. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

a small crowd boat is 'wavelength' max 30. snorkel only

http://wavelength.com.au/index.htm

whether u should subject a 5yo to a long (maybe rough) trip to the outer reef and back is up to you.

we had young kids (older than 5) on our trip who didn't want to go in the water and the parents took turns 'baby sitting'. 'wavelength' visits 3 sites on the reef.

better check if they have an pax age limit tho.

as far as other things, i would be doing what u want to do. a kid goes where u want to go. they dont really have a choice, do they?

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
15,054 posts
123 reviews
2. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

I have done the Sailaway Low Isles trip with kids and I thought it worked out great. My youngest child at the time was 9 years old and a first-time snorkeler. It was good for him to be able to snorkel off a beach rather than in open water. Also, when he tired of snorkeling, we could explore the island or play on the beach. They also had the glass-bottom boat ride which my child enjoyed.

I've gone out many times with Wavelength as well (with and without my kids) and I'm not sure it would be a good choice for a 5-year-old. As Lien mentions, it is a long and sometimes rough trip to the Outer Reef. Also, once you get there, if your child decides he doesn't want to snorkel, there's nothing for you to do onboard but sit and watch the water and no room for him to run around (which 5 year olds are going to want to do.).

Unless you are sure your child is going to spend the entire time snorkeling, I think I'd opt for the Low Isles or Quicksilver, despite the number of people they carry. At least there would be something for you and your son to do (glass bottom boat, semi-submersible, underwater observation, etc.) if you're not actually in the water.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

Hey a good one is the trip to the pontoon by Quicksilver. Big Cat boat loads of room in and out. Just over an hour to the large double deck pontoon which has a bar toilets and some safe roped in areas - great first go for kids and the non proficient. They have the stinger suits too which you must use at this time of year, and a 30+ sun block the UV has been extreme recently.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

Thanks. We are going in May, do you need stinger suits then??

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Penang
Level Contributor
2,794 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

stinger suits are advisable ...but such a trip with a five year old is not the best of ideas ...the trip out to the reef can become very choppy..

6. Re: Reef Trip with a 5 year old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 20:17