We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

OK, so it's end of the Fin Year - and we need, no deserve, a break!

We've opted to stay in Australia and have settled on Port Douglas or Palm Cove in the hope of getting some sunshine and warm weather.

It's been years since I've been there and there are so many new options for accommodation so I'm looking to all you experts for some advice.

We will rent a car in Cairns so no need to be too central.

We want a place that is right on the beach (pool not that important to us), has rooms where you can hear the sound of the surf from the bed, is at least 4*.

We love kids, but not this time, so somewhere which is a 'child free zone' would be a plus.

Budget isn't as important as finding the right place for a total relax and chill out for a week.

Thanks, I look forward to hearing your ideas.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
19,444 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

In port D your no kids option is Shantara.

If planning to do a few nights then PC offers more alternatives for dining and staying. however PD is more the right on the beach location,

If you don;t mind driving out for meal also look at Kewarra. thala might also work for you

Places to avoid..Sheraton as it is a big conference place and you get the family tacking onto the trip. I loved Sea temple in Palm Cove but it was kiddy central even outside of school holidays. Angsana might suit but do read recent reviews, our experience wasn't great but the place had potential.

We are up this neck of the woods quite frequently and are yet to find the perfect balance

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Shantara looks lovely GW, but too far from the beach.

From the research, it looks as though Palm Cove properties are closer to the water.

We really want to be able to have our morning coffee on the beach.

Angsana looked promising but no availability for our 10 day escape.

The search goes on.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,536 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

I think Palm Cove is the place for you then Eva, if you are looking for proximity to the water. Keep looking for accommodation.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,444 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Ooppss i got my PC and PD mixed up...

Most of the Palm Cove properties are opposite the beach (i.e. across the road). The ones on the Southern End tend to be beach front or direct access.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, having left things to the last minute as usual, the places we wanted were unavailable, so we've chosen Thala Beach Lodge.

A bit further out of town but certainly looks like our kind of place and gets good reviews.

Anyone stayed there?

Wondering if a car is necessary as they run a shuttle service into PD?

Is there an easy way of getting to and from Cairns Airport without a car?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Very easy transfers to Thala with Exemplar coaches,very good service at about $36 a head each way.

Daintree, Australia
Destination Expert
for Daintree
Level Contributor
1,101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Do you need a car? Well it depends how much you want to 'do' on your holiday - if you mostly just want to veg out and relax then I wouldn't worry about a car and just use the occasional shuttle bus to PD.

If you planned to explore a little further north than PD - Mossman Gorge, Daintree Village, Rainforest, Cape Tribulation etc you would then have to take organised day-tours so it would certainly be much more economical and convenient to have your own transport. (No other restaurants or shops close to Thala either.)

While our beaches are beautiful (sometimes you are lucky to see another soul on them) there is no surf here as we are inside the Great Barrier Reef and the water is too shallow for surf. So enjoy your morning coffees at beautiful Thala, overlooking the calm waters of the Coral Sea!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,444 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

good choice.

I'd probably go with a car as you can have the freedom of eating out in PD then getting back (maybe think about car hire for just a few days?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,131 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

Thanks all!

Decided to go with a car after all - Sunbird, you reminded me of all those wonderful places that just have to be explored and experienced and to me TOUR is a 4 letter word.

Can't wait to get up there, thaw out and enjoy FNQ - it's been 30 years and I doubt I will recognize the area.

10. Re: Where to stay in PD or Palm Cove??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2013, 17:16