We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Hi all

We're travelling on the Spirit of Tasmania Mid-Dec and need help in our self-drive itinerary. We are 3 Adults (My parents and Me). First time to Tasmania. Parent's cannot do strenuous walks or hikes. Just want to see as much as possible and enjoy the time there relaxing.

Is this plan feasible?

Open to suggestions and tips on where to stay. Thanks in advance!

15 Dec 2017 Fri 09:00 Melbourne 18:30 Devenport

Overnight at Stanley?

16 Dec 2017 Sat Cradle Mountain

17 Dec 2017 Sun Cradle Mountain

18 Dec 2017 Mon Strahan

19 Dec 2017 Tue

Hobart via Lake St. Clair (Derwent Bridge)

20 Dec 2017 Wed Hobart

21 Dec 2017 Thu MONA, Hobart

22 Dec 2017 Fri

Freycinet National Park (Wineglass Bay)

23 Dec 2017 Sat

Freycinet National Park (Wineglass Bay)

24 Dec 2017 Sun Launceston

25 Dec 2017 Mon Launceston

26 Dec 2017 Tue Tamar Valley

27 Dec 2017 Wed

Tamar Valley to Devenport

21:30 Devenport

8 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,605 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Certainly, you easily have time to drive that route in 12 days.

The main issue with an itinerary is to decide what you want to see and do along the way. The best itineraries are built around your interests and what you wish to see and do.

Have a browse through this page: https:/…Touring.Tasmania.html

And then there's even more information in the Top Questions on the right of this page.

Greater Hobart...
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Stanley to Cradle Mountain is a fair way to go for Saturday and Sunday. 4 hours return to be precise. I would suggest staying closer to Cradle Mountain or staying 1 night at Stanley and 1 night at Cradle Mountain. Other than that, your itinerary looks pretty good. But as Luigi said, 12 days is a good amount of time to see Tasmania.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

HI,

As said your itinerary is very doable, and there's quite a few walks at Cradle Mt that are easy to moderate, plenty for your parents to do. Have a look at the links below -

Cradle Mt - www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=34557

Tasmania (Nat Parks) - www.parks.tas.gov.au/index.aspx?base=1315

One walk you will love is from the Ronny Creek car park (start point of the Overland Track) to Ronny Creek Bridge along the very flat boardwalk. It's approximately 700m + and there's a good chance you'll see quite a few wombats.

When in Strahan make sure you go to the local play "The ship that never was" -

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Re…

From Strahan to Derwent Bridge look for Nelsons Falls (very easy walk, around 20 minutes return), and remember to call in to Mt Field/Russell Falls, another very easy and beautiful walk.

Make sure you read all of the "Top questions about Tasmania" on the right hand side of your screen for what to see and do. You may find some links don't work, sadly they can't be changed but Luigi is posting them in other threads, just come back on here and ask if you need more info.

Safe travels - Robert

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Hi all, thanks so much for your posts. I got caught up at work and was posting from mobile earlier which made it difficult. Will make notes of all your tips and suggestions.

We are looking for a nice holiday and really are not fussed about our activities as long as we have a good time in Tassie. I think we are typical tourists wanting to maximise our time there by checking out on everything that is a must see. Not big on food or wine. So leaves little to tailor our experience.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Hi,

I don't understand what you mean by far for return. I was planning on staying at Stanley after we got off the Spirit of Tasmania at Devenport and then spend the next two days at the Cradle Mountain before going to Strahan, not back to Stanley.

Is that still not recommended?

I'm not sure where to spend the night after we get of the Spirit of Tasmania, stay on at Devenport or drive to Stanley. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
12,761 posts
269 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Hi Peanut,

>> I don't understand what you mean by far for return. << I don't understand why but I believe Harrison in Post # 2 thought you might have been using Stanley as a base for Cradle Mt.

Yes stick to your itinerary, and I'd try to get to Stanley after the Spirit arrival. Sunset is at 8.45 PM, as long as your ship is on time, the drive is under 2 hours. By doing this you can spend the morning looking around Stanley and then head off to Cradle Mt after. Also as long as you can get a late check in?

Rob

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
65 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

Thanks Rob, makes sense now. So glad it's coming together now.

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip

I think maybe Stanley is too far to aim for after arrival at Devonport on a day sailing. If the ship arrives at 6.30 pm, you have to allow time for all the cars to get off. Where you are parked on the car decks makes a big difference to how long it takes you to get off (an you have no control over that). I have been almost first off in maybe 15 mins, or absolutely last off in more than an hour. So to be cautious, you should maybe consider that you might not be leaving Devonport till 7.30 pm. The you might want to eat dinner? I would just go a shorter distance along the north coast from Devonport and stay the night somewhere where you can eat nearby, maybe Penguin or Burnie? Then head to Stanley early next morning and stay overnight.

You can gain the extra day needed for this by combining visiting the Tamar Valley on your last day, on your way back to Devonport. If you are mainly going for scenery, not visiting wineries, then you will have enough time to do that - the distances are not far.

Reply to: Tasmania Self drive 12 days itinerary Devenport Round trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted