We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meeting animal

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Meeting animal

Dear All,

I am going to visit Tasmania but I don't drive. I will rely on public transport and I will stay in the central Hobart. I would like to meet some animal like wombat, pademelon and little penguin. I have several questions:

1. Is there any animal in Mt. Willington Park?

2. For Hartz Mountains National Park, it seems not mention the above animals inside. Is there?

3. For South Bruny National Park, it mentions there are little penguin. Where can I meet exactly in the park? Do I have to reach the edge of land? Is it difficult? I am not good at walking and adventure.

4. Where is the nearest place to Hobart to meet wombat and pademelon?

20 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Meeting animal

Public transport is poor in Tasmania, I would recommend a coach tour. I worked down there for some months, my car had to be repaired so I was without it for a couple of weeks and found bus services far apart and very slow. There are no trains.

If you are looking for reputable companies I can recommend Australian Pacific Tours, I have done Tasmania with them and was very happy with all aspects of the trip.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Meeting animal

You will find it very difficult getting around unless you have a car or join a tour.

The easiest way to see animals is to go to Bonorong wildlife park on the northern edge of Hobart. Best way to get there is on a tour, but you can bus/walk to get there: http://bonorong.com.au/directions/

The area on Bruny Island where the penguins go is disrupted by roadworks at the moment. the parking area is closed. Bruny Island is big and there is no public transport.

I can't begin to imagine how you would get to Harz Range National Park by public transport. You'd be better off doing a tour to Mount Field National Park where you will see wallabies. There are companies that combine Mount Field and Bonorong in a day trip. This would be your best option to see the animals you mention, and more:

tourstas.com.au/tours/…

https://adventuretasmania.com.au/what-to-do/…

greatexpeditions.com.au/tasmania/single-day/…

premiertraveltasmania.com/small-group-tourin…

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meeting animal

Actually I can join tour but just wanna clarify where should I go that I can see what I want.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meeting animal

Bonorong and Mount Field.

I'd need to know when you are travelling to comment on Bruny Island's availability of penguins due to roadworks there.

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meeting animal

I planned to go in mid Jan

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Meeting animal

The roadwork should be completed by then. You should be able to see penguins there if you stay overnight and can organise suitable transport - like a tour.

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meeting animal

Thanks for all your suggestion.

Now I found Bonorong is suitable for me but there is not public transport from Hobart city to Bonorong. Is it the only ways are taking a taxi or joining a tour? However, I found some tours costing more than $100 while the entry fee including the tour insides the conservation is only $29. I found these tours are not valuable. Is it just taking a taxi to Bonorong and buy the ticket will be much cheaper?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Meeting animal

I doubt that a taxi would be cheaper. You can use this fare calculator: https://www.taxifare.com.au/

A quick check suggests it will cost about $65 each way.

The cheapest way to travel around Tasmania is a self-drive rental car.

Japaratinga, AL
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meeting animal

Oh the taxi' s cost is so high!

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,806 posts