We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 week road trip

Perth, Australia
14 posts
Save Topic
2 week road trip

Hi Everywhere,

I was hoping to get soms feedback on my proposed itinery please. Ive read the forums on here and the main posts, and am now in a position to get your thought on what im thinking.

My husband and I are looking to travel to Tasmania from Perth in early February, with our 2.5 year old toddler. We will be flying in and out Launceston.

Our little one is good in the car, last year we did 3 weeks in the north island of NZ and did a couple of hours driving between places every 3 or so days and she was fine. And being from WA we often travel down south to our wine region, so car trips are fine. In saying that I want to make sure we're not just feeling like our whole holiday is spent in the car.

In terms of what we hope to do - we'd like to see the most popular sites and have some relaxing time just enjoying beautiful scenary and also go to a few places that would interest our toddler, such a zoos and parks. Also my husband loves boats and being on the water, so if anyone has boat trip recommendations id love to hear them.

Fly into Launceston , stay 2 nights. See the Tamar Valley Wine Region, Seahorse World, Christmas Hills Raspberry Farm Cafe, Cheese Factory & Lavendar Fields

Then was thinking we'll have a night in Cradle Mountain to break up the drive down the west coast. See Cataract Gorge and Tazmania on way to Strachan. Or should we just push on to Strachan and see the Gorge and Tazmania on the way?

Then have 2 nights in Strachan, see Gordon River and Wall in the Wilderness.

Then was thinking 1 night maybe in Hamilton on way to Hobart. See the waterfalls.

Or do you think were just best on pushing on to Hobart and just seeing the sights on our way there?

2 nights in Hobart, plan to be there for a Saturday to do the markets, then see Mona, Cascade Brewery, Peppermint Bay and Bonorong Wildlife Refuge.

Also we want to see Port Arthur but wondering if we should have a night there or just do a return day trip from Hobart?

Then 3 nights on the east coast. Not sure whether go stay in Bicheno or St Helen's or Swansea. Just want go relax here and see Bay of Fires, the National Park, Wineglass Bay etc.

Back to Launceston to fly out.

Are we missing anywhere thats super obvious??

Thanks in advance, I appreciate you taking the time to read this. X

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
30,735 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 week road trip

Generally, your plan sounds OK and in two weeks you have ample time to do a circle. However, there are a few points of fine tuning required.

Cataract Gorge is in Launceston: not just <near> Launceston; it is in Launceston, within easy walking distance of the CBD. If you have two days in Launceston, see it then.

Conversely, The Wall in the Wilderness is not at Strahan: it's two hours east of Strahan, half way to Hobart.

Yes, you could do Port Arthur as a day trip from Hobart, but if you are then heading northward up the east coast, it would be more efficient to go there on the way to the coast.

Bicheno is probably the most central point on the east coast.

I suggest that you plot each and every place you want to visit on a map. This will clarify the logic of your circle and suitable stopovers will become clearer. There's a link to a downloadable map in the Top Questions on the right of this page.

Edited: 23 September 2017, 20:44
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
14,553 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 week road trip

Hi Jessie,

We were in Tasmania for 10 nights this past March ... a couple of thoughts on your plans -

A night at Cradle Mountain would be well worth it -by the time you do Cataract Gorge and Tasmazia, I think it would be a lot to push on to Strahan and it would leave you very short on time (or no time) at Cradle Mountain, which would be unfortunate because the scenery, wildlife and walks there are wonderful.

I think a night in Port Arthur is well worth it to allow time to take in the scenery, PA historic site, and do the incredibly scenic wilderness cruise - https://www.tasmancruises.com.au/

Bicheno is a really nice place to stay on the east side. If you go to Freycinet on your way to Bicheno, then it will save a bit of backtracking.

3. Re: 2 week road trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: today, 13:18