We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rules for camping in National Parks

New York City
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
203 reviews
Save Topic
Rules for camping in National Parks

We just returned from Freycinet (fantastic experience!!!) and are planning some more camping in Tasmania National Parks.

We stayed for one night in the Coles Bay campground, where we were assigned a (lovely) spot, then we camped two nights in the Circuit.

We just spent 2 months in NZ where camping in national parks is very regulated. So we were intrigued to find lots of nice spots near the trail, but not in campgrounds. One couple had the most delicious spot on Wineglass Bay and we saw daybreak photography from the top of Graham Mountain. This is the situation in many of our National Forests, where you're permitted to camp just about anywhere.

Of course, we enjoy camping near a water supply, but what exactly are the rules?

Mentioned in this post
Freycinet
Freycinet
Glamorgan-Spring Bay, Australia
Tasmania
Tasmania
Australia
Coles Bay
Coles Bay
Freycinet, Australia
Graham Apartments
Graham Apartments
219 Reviews
Hobart, Australia
10 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
16,543 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Each state has a National Parks govt department and corresponding website that details exactly what the rules are for each park. The Tassie one is

http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=236

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,938 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

The rules for camping are here: http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/?base=412

New York City
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Thanks Luigi!

Unfortunately, this site (which I had actually looked at before our trip) doesn't cover the "backcountry" rules. (I'm not sure what the correct Australian term for this is - I mean when you carry your tent in on your back, as opposed to driving in). Freycinet has 4 "campgrounds" like this with no facilities other than a toilet, but we noticed several well-used individual campsites along the trails. I meant to ask at the ranger station when we left this morning, but there was a line of people waiting to be helped.

Mentioned in this post
Freycinet
Freycinet
Glamorgan-Spring Bay, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,938 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Everyone is actively encouraged to use the campsites and remain within them. You cannot camp outside the campsites that lie within the ambit of the day walks of a national park because it's untidy. But on a longer (overnight) trail one can select a suitable spot. That's what you may have seen.

So, while there is no prohibition on camping on a long trail in a suitable place, one is obliged to "leave no trace". That can be quite onerous, especially with regard to toilet use. :)

New York City
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Alas Luigi, there were far too many "traces" left at even the designated campsites. Toilet paper all over, trash left in the toilet, ugh! I dug holes and moved some of it, but gosh...

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,938 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Backpacker tourists perhaps?

But that's certainly why the Parks guys want hikers to use the designated campsites.

New York City
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

Well, I'm a "backpacker tourist" and it was me - not the Aussies - who was picking up and burying all the gross stuff.

1 post
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

That sounds so lovely!!

Where was the place exactly of the couple on the wineglass bay?

I am planning to camp just randomly but not sure if I can get a fine for it.

Hope someone can answer my question.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,400 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

If anyone is interested in some history of Wineglass Bay and the morbid reason for it's name ...

https:/…

Sydney, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rules for camping in National Parks

I had the same question. The Freycinet National Park Management Plan is here http://www.parks.tas.gov.au/file.aspx?id=6542

It indicates that for Conservation Zones (most of the wilderness areas of the park outside of the designated camping areas and walking trails) "camping will not be permitted".

Mentioned in this post
Freycinet National Park
Freycinet National Park
266 Reviews
Coles Bay, Australia
Reply to: Rules for camping in National Parks
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted