We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania

We are in the early stages of researching our trip to Tasmania in December this year, and I'm finding there is so much we would like to see and do it is hard to narrow it down to what is feasible.

We will be travelling with our 10 month old baby, who is usually fine with car journeys so hopefully that isn't a consideration, other than maybe making us a bit slower due to necessary stops now and then.

We'll be flying in on a Wednesday night, flying out Sunday lunchtime. I could possibly make it a Wednesday lunchtime arrival if it was going to improve the trip a lot.

On the list of what we'd like to see is:

Cradle Mountain

Wineglass Bay

Bay of Fires

Salamanca markets (but can't work out how to be around for the Saturday and do all the above)

We are also in the market for a timber dining table while over there, and forum comments seem to suggest Launceston is the best place for that.

We love good food, so very interested in foodies experiences along the way

Brewery tour at either Cascage or James Boages

I don't think its going to be possible to fit all of that in, so if anyone can help me work out what to cut and what out of the above works best in the time we have it would be greatly appreciated!

3 replies to this topic
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,589 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania

No, it won't be possible to fit it all in. You have "must sees" scattered all across the state and insufficient time to travel to them - especially with a youngster on board.

You need to concentrate on a smaller area than the entire state. Either fly into Hobart and concentrate on the south, or into Launceston and concentrate on the north. If you fly into Hobart, you need to drop things like Cradle Mountain, Boags and Bay of Fires. If you fly into Launceston, Salamanca and Cascade are similarly difficult.

I think most of your activities are in the north, so I'd suggest flying into Launceston. Go to Cradle Mountain overnight. (It would help if you arrived at midday or earlier to do this straight up.) Then head to the east coast through Launceston. Do a circle by going to Freycinet via Campbell Town, then north to Bay of Fires and back to Launceston through Scottsdale. Launceston also has a reasonably good farmers market on Saturday. It has the best furniture. Read this: https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g25…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania

Thanks Luigi, that advice is just what I needed to move forward.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania

The alternative option would be landing in Hobart. Then you have the options of visiting Port Arthur for the day, where you can drop by Pirate's Bay and other attractions on the way.

On Saturday, you will be able to visit the Salamanca Markets for local produce and then visit the magnificent Hobart's Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. Nothing stops you from visiting the Cascade brewery on the day and the Cascades Female Factory Historic Site.

If well planned, you could do a day trip to Bruny Island where you will have the most amazing food and drinks experience; cheeses, arguably the best oysters in Australia, 'the neck' lookout, the lighthouse and views to die for. Whilst you need to take the barge to cross, the roads are family car friendly, so no problems with that.

Mount Wellington is a must and the Hobart Harbour surrounds offer abroad range of food experience.

I would also make a time to visit Mona, the Museum of Old And New Art by car or ferry. No doubts that whichever area you choose, your whole family will enjoy!

Reply to: Itinerary suggestions 4 days in Tasmania
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted