We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Trip

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Melbourne Trip

Hi All,

My family of 4 (2 adults, 2 teens) planning to travel to Melbourne next month October 2017. Below is my itinerary. Looking forward to your kind suggestions.

24/10 - Arrive Melbourne Airport at 0850 hrs, pick up rented car and drive to Great Ocean Road. Stay 1 night in Apollo Bay.

25/10 - Continue to explore and drive to Port Campbell and stay 1 night.

26/10 - Drive to Yarra Valley. Things to do & visit: Hot air balloon, Healesville Sanctuary, Zoo, Puffing Billy.

Cannot decide to stay 1 or 2 nights in Yarra Valley? Boys want to experience the hot air ballooning, where to take? Where to stay in Yarra Valley? Please suggest.

27/10 - Drive to Phillip Island. Stay 1 night.

28/10 - Drive to Mornington Peninsula. Worth of staying 1 night in Mornington or return to Melbourne?

29/10 - ?

30/10 - in Melbourne

31/10 - in Melbourne. Flight home at 1845 hrs.

Awaiting your reply and suggestions.

Thank you very much.

20 replies to this topic
Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Trip

Hi,

I suggest you spend your first couple of nights in Melbourne CBD. Then pick up the hire car from the CBD and head towards the Great Ocean Rd.

One night Apollo Bay

One Port Campbell

Drive back to Yarra Valley via inland route (Colac).

Two nights Healesville area.

One night Phillip Island

Drive back towards Melbourne via Mornington Peninsula. Stay one night.

Drop car back to CBD and stay last night in CBD before returning to airport.

Cheers.

UF

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Trip

Hi,

Thanks for your fast reply.

Two nights Healesville area: Is this where I need to stay to take the hot air balloon? Any recommended nearby hotel to stay for hot air balloon? First time self-drive in Melbourne.

Thank you so much

Broadford, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Trip

Hi,

I do not know which "hot air ballon" tour operator you are looking at using.

If you look at Google or your search engine of choice and put in accommodation Healesville or Yarra Valley all the options will appear on the screen. Or use a site such as booking.com and put in the same destinations; a huge range of options come up; you will not find as many "hotels", but more motels and bed and breakfast options in regional Victoria. You can then refine your search by room types, bedding configurations and budget, etc.

Healesville is the major town in the Yarra Valley and is close to all your itinerary choices in that region. It is also a reasonably easy drive to Phillip Island without having to head back into Melbourne.

You are actually spending very little of your trip in Melbourne. Melbourne, a town of over 4 million people is the capital city of Victoria. Here is a link to show you the comparative sizes of the two:

…appspot.com/victoria-vs-sg/victoria-austral…

Cheers,

UF

Edited: 21 September 2017, 12:55
Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
176 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Trip

It's not a good idea to pick up the hire car on arrival and start driving straight away, unless you only go a short distance, maybe to Geelong, which is an interesting city, on the way to the GOR.

For the Yarra Valley, the hot air balloon companies will pick you up from your accommodation in a minibus and take you back there afterwards. You need to book your flight well in advance, and remember that they start very early in the morning, usually while it is still dark just before sunrise. For local accommodation in the Yarra Valley, probably Healesville or Yarra Glen are best locations. Have a look at Sanctuary House in Healesville or Balgownie Estate in Yarra Glen. There are lots of others.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Melbourne
Level Contributor
2,313 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Trip

Re: hot air ballooning. I'd try Global Ballooning as they're one of the bigger operators in the Yarra Valley region.

Re: driving after a long-haul flight. I'd have to retierate what everyone else has said and suggest that you stay in Melb a night or two to rest up before the big drive along the GOR. Safe travels.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Trip

+1 for spending your first night in Melbourne. Two nights along the GOR is good, and the third day is still spent mostly along the GOR, especially if Tower Hill is on your list. Port Campbell or Warrnambool to Healesville in a day is a lot of driving - maybe 6 hours, and that after at least the morning sightseeing means you will arrive quite late. Beware of driving at or after dusk due to the high risk of hitting a kangaroo on the roads. Two nights in Healesville would be needed because you won't have time to do anything in Healesville on that long driving day. Perhaps consider only going as far as Melbourne on your return from the GOR, then heading off to Healesville in the morning.

Have a look a Trees Adventure - your boys might be interested. Otway Park is near Colac (near GOR) and Glen Harrow Park is in Belgrave (Dandenongs). https://treesadventure.com.au/

Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Trip

Thanks.

After long drive from Melbourne to GOR, can recommend where to stopover first? Apollo Bay or Port Campbell?is it worth while? Intend to stay 1 night each before heading to Yarra Valley.

melbourne
Level Contributor
1,544 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Trip

See post #1

Singapore, Singapore
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
6,163 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melbourne Trip

<< After long drive from Melbourne to GOR, can recommend where to stopover first? Apollo Bay or Port Campbell?is it worth while? Intend to stay 1 night each before heading to Yarra Valley. >>

You may stay 1st night in Apollo Bay and 2nd night at Port Campbell.

For me, I always stay 2 nights in Apollo Bay. From Apollo Bay, I would leave early, like 7:30am, for the Twelve Apostles to beat the many tourist tour buses that start to arrive from 1pm onwards.

Edited: 25 September 2017, 23:24
Singapore, Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Melbourne Trip

Thanks.

Can suggest where to stay in Apollo Bay for 2 nights? What must see in AB? Do I miss anything in Port Campbell?

Am concern how to drive to yara valley from AB.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Reply to: Melbourne Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted