We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Duty free alcohol allowance.

southampton
Level Contributor
122 posts
10 reviews
Duty free alcohol allowance.

Hi All,

I see that you are allowed to bring 2.5l of spirits into Australia.

Does this mean total amount, including what you buy at the duty free shop on arrivial, or does it mean you can bring 2.5l into the country, then buy additional spirits at the duty free shop when you arrive.

Thanks

Tim

29 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
7,065 posts
49 reviews
21. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

Thank you,jocrad.

Notwithstanding customer service information, family members receive discount alcohol vouchers with no loyalty card enrollment.

Edited: 10 February 2018, 13:32
Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
22. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

<<<In order to get the coupons for cheap drinks at Liquiorland or Dan Murphys you will need a loyalty card, this was confirmed by their respective customer services. The Coles receipt also shows 4c off a litre of fuel at their filling stations. >>>

Again - none of these require the loyalty card. They are available to everyone. Coles and Woolies own almost all of the petrol stations and booze barns in the entire country.

<<this was confirmed by their respective customer services>>

Also known as a "sales pitch drive".

Edited: 10 February 2018, 14:22
Oldham, United...
Destination Expert
for Alvor
Level Contributor
1,516 posts
220 reviews
23. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

Thanks PerfectlyPerth. Family we've stated with in the past have told us to help ourselves to one if their Coles receipts when we've needed fuel and I've done so several times. Last visit was the first we've used the Liqorland ones.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
24. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

I don't drive so I just leave all my Coles and Woolies receipts in the kitchen at work for anyone to take to make use of the fuel vouchers.

Choppington, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
225 reviews
25. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

Its all well and good if you have a "family member" who has a loyalty card and provides you with coupons but if you're visiting and don't have friends or relatives to provide them how can we get them if you need a card. Its absolutely simple to get any number of cards so what's the problem having your own and keeping it for your next visit or discarding it if you're not planning to return.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,166 posts
70 reviews
26. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

There are generally affiliated liquor store special offers printed on the bottom or the back of all Coles and Woolworths till receipts. In addition, if you spend over a minimum amount (about $30), the same till receipt entitles you to a discount on fuel at affiliated store petrol stations. I think this is what PP meant when she referred to "vouchers", so you don't need a family member to get them, just buy groceries.

Loyalty cards offer discounts but you have to purchase a couple of thousand dollars' worth of groceries before you get a $10 discount.

Choppington, United...
Level Contributor
243 posts
225 reviews
27. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

So why was I told by Customer Services at Coles to get a card. In order to get the discounts at Dan Murphys you need a card; likewise at IGA you require a card to get the fuel and alcohol coupons. They are all easy to get so what is the problem will this impact on negatively on the Australian economy. Lets all try to be helpful and dismiss all of the negative responses.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,146 posts
77 reviews
28. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

You are told by retailers to get a loyalty card so that they can track your habits and encourage you to buy more. If you don't want a card, don't get one. And don't obsess too much about it.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
29. Re: Duty free alcohol allowance.

<<<So why was I told by Customer Services at Coles to get a card. In order to get the discounts at Dan Murphys you need a card; likewise at IGA you require a card to get the fuel and alcohol coupons.>>>

Oh good grief. Do you fall for the fake Microsoft calls too ?

Again - slowly - it was a sales pitch. Designed to draw in suckers.

The fuel vouchers are on the bottom of every receipt. They have been for nearly 2 decades. No one has needed a loyalty card to get them or use them in all that time. Just like the vouchers for pancakes and carpet cleaning on the back. Everyone. Not just special folks with cards.

And again. You are on a short holiday. None of this is even relevant. In the scheme of things - why on earth is alcohol such a vital part of your travel planning ?

Reply to: Duty free alcohol allowance.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted