We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paihia stay...

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
Paihia stay...

hello all,

i am doing a new zealand north and south island tour, i will be flying into paihia on the 5th (morning) until the 8th (morning) of feb 2010...my question is what activities do you recommend for a short stay?

i am considering skydiving, jetskiing, beaching it, basically all sorts of water activites. the thing is i want to do the cape reinga/ninety mile beach tour as well.

My main question is will we be able to do most of what paihia has to offer including the day tour?

is it possible and do you recommend this for a short stay?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,495 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Paihia stay...

Did you do a search on Paihia? Not very far down from here you'll find a thread about Paihia, in particular being in town on the 6th February, a public holiday with celebrations centered around Paihia & Waitangi. Hope you have your accommodation booked.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Paihia stay...

yes i have had a browse of the paihia section especially the 6th of february topic and yes i have accomodation booked...but i would still like some opinions and recommendations on my short stay?

also has anyone been on the tandem skydive there? i would love to do some water activities and possibly check out russell...what are the best beaches for the young crowd?

UK
Level Contributor
66 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Paihia stay...

Hi

I just returned from Paihia. We did a Kayak tour with Island Kayaks (www.baybeachhire.co.nz) and the young guy who took us out was a local and gave us lots of info of what to do and where to go.

They do all sorts of stuff out from their beach shop/shack. Check out their website.

Re jet skis/boats - all are bookable once you get there really either from on the beach or on Paihia Wharf. there are loads of tour desks everywhere!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
4. Re: Paihia stay...

You can cram a lot into your 3 day stay in bay.

Here is what you can do for your 3 days:

Day 1: AM Check into your accomodation and take a half day trip or the excitor ( 2hours return ) out to Cape Brett and the Hole in the Rock. If you want peaceful go with Kings or Fullers on the big cat or if you want adrenalin take the jetboadt (Excitor).

Day 2 Take the Bus trip to Cape Reinga - Depart 7.00am arrive back 6.00pm

Day 3 Here you have an option of a quiet day visiting Russell and Waitangi both of which could be done in a day and still leave time to go out onto the bay jetskiing, kayaking or what ever.

I have never enquired about skydiving hence I know nothing about it but if you are going to Queenstown it is very popular there in case you miss out in the BOI

Because the 6th Feb is going to be full on in Waitangi and along the shore at Waitangi it is probably the best day to do the Cape Reinga trip unless you want to get involved in the festivities.

Edited: 27 January 2010, 10:27
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Paihia stay...

Hi fc,

Ballistic Blondes for your skydive adventure is based at Kerikeri airport, so you can check them out when you arrive into Kerikeri. Very popular activity, and let's hope our glorious Northland weather holds out for you!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
6. Re: Paihia stay...

hi guys,

thanks for all your suggestions!

we have our 3 day stay planned out now!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
18,173 posts
130 reviews
7. Re: Paihia stay...

Cool. Glad to be of assistance.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,281 posts
226 reviews
8. Re: Paihia stay...

What programme have you settled on

Brisbane
Level Contributor
774 posts
21 reviews
9. Re: Paihia stay...

skydiving/cape reinga&ninety mile beach/kayaking/jetsking/waitangi festivities....=)

10. Re: Paihia stay...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2010, 12:17
Get answers to your questions about Paihia