We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

We will be in Pahia from the 31st Dec for 3 nights. Not surprisingly some of the accommodation options i've looked into are already booked out, eg. Gateway Motel.

I have a few questions - can anyone recommend a studio apartment for up to AU$120/night or a Bed and Breakfast or rental home.

When recommending options those closer to Waitangi Treaty Grounds would be preferable as we won't have our own transport and will need to get there for the wedding.

Does anyone know if there is a bus that runs from the main road up to Waitangi? The wedding is on Sat 1st so just wondered what public transport would be like being new years day.

Any suggestions as to what to do while we're there (other than visit the Treaty Grounds and Haruru Falls) would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Daniela

Mentioned in this post
Waitangi Treaty Grounds
Waitangi Treaty Grounds
4,181 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Haruru Falls
Haruru Falls
1,547 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

HI Dani

I am an Aussie too and have just booked Cooks Lookout Motel in Paihia after much research. The reviews are overwhelmingly good and it is reasonably priced. The units are self contained and the view is amazing. I have had contact with the owners/managers and they are really helpful and lovely. Hope your holiday is wonderful - we will be there just before you!

http://www.cookslookout.co.nz

Mentioned in this post
Cook's Lookout Motel
Cook's Lookout Motel
988 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
Bay of Islands, New Zealand
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

hi there,

thanks for your reply. I have looked into Cook's lookout but it seemed a little out of the way and I can't seem to find any information on public transport so i'm reluctant to book something too far out.

Are you guys renting a car while you're there? What are you planning to do during your stay?

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Cook's Lookout Motel
Cook's Lookout Motel
988 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
128 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

HI Dani

Yes, we are renting a car in Auckland and driving around the north island for two weeks. You could try giving the ISITE Paihia information centre a ring to find out about transport? They seem to be the place for local knowledge. Thankfully, I have almost finalized all of my accommodation now, just in time as yes, most of them seem to be filling up quick.

Hope you get it all sorted - and I think the time of year you are going is really expensive - we are going the two weeks before Xmas and it is way more expensive everywhere after xmas!!

Mentioned in this post
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
157 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

Glad to hear you have almost all your accommodation sorted. I am really fussy and spend hours researching before I book anything but, you're right, places are booking out really fast.

I am surprised at how expensive everything is. I told my Kiwi friend that an overnight cruise on Doubtful Sound in a quad cabin cost $600/2 adults and her jaw dropped open! Needless to say i've yet to book that, it will probably book out before I have decided what to do and then my decision will be made. Have thought about kayaking through the sound on a day trip instead but it's still around $420/two and you have to supply your own lunch!

I will contact the ISite in Paihia. THanks for suggesting that.

I did contact Cook's Lookout and they were very helpful. Even offered to dropped us at Waitangi grounds on the day of the wedding but unfortunately the rate was $215/night which is way more money than i'm willing to fork out for accommodation, esp as we are there 3 nights. I think I might end up setlling on a backpackers so we can spend more money on tours.

Thanks for your help!

Dani

Mentioned in this post
Paihia
Paihia
Cook's Lookout Motel
Cook's Lookout Motel
988 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,680 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

My recollection of Paihia is that it has no bus service at all, so the only form of public transport will be taxis and they'll be hard pressed to cope with the demand that New Year's Eve in Paihia creates.

Mentioned in this post
Paihia
Paihia
Paihia
Level Contributor
9 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

Hi

Blue Pacific Apartments are close to Waitangi and beautiful. I stayed there while on my wedding night. You can easily walk to town from there but their prices may be a bit expensive at that time of the year. Copthorne Hotel is next door to the treaty grounds which is where I assume your wedding is.

How about renting a house? check out www.daysinthebay.co.nz I used these guys to book a house for my family when they came to Paihia for my wedding. There is no public tramsport in Paihia so I would try yo rent a car if u could. If not there are plenty of taxis.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned in this post
Paihia
Paihia
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland Central
Level Contributor
16,229 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

This is a well established holiday homes site with lots of NZ listings - holidayhomes.co.nz/for-rent/…

Keep an eye out for accommodation specials on www.wotif.com - however Dec 31st is peak holiday season with many Kiwis taking a break at the beach over Christmas/New Year period. A stay at Copthorne hotel in Waitangi is an ideal base for both the wedding and exploring.

Haruru Falls has camping cabins/lodges at reasonable prices.

There are taxis/shuttle services based in Paihia.

Edited: 27 September 2010, 10:04
Mentioned in this post
Haruru Falls
Haruru Falls
1,547 Reviews
Paihia, New Zealand
Paihia
Paihia
8. Re: Paihia/Waitangi accommodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2011, 12:16
Get answers to your questions about Paihia