We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best cruise/boat trip in Paihia with teenagers?

Tokyo
Level Contributor
27 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Best cruise/boat trip in Paihia with teenagers?

Our family (Mum, Dad and three teenagers) will be coming to NZ at Xmas to see relatives and we will be spending a few days in Paihia. I'm now looking at options for family activities. I remember a couple of trips with my family on the Fuller's Cream Trip when I was a kid, so I know how gorgeous the area is from the water. I'm wondering which of the boat trips would be the most fun and give the most 'bang for the buck' with teens, so to speak.

The kids all love dolphins but we've done a number of 'dolphin viewing cruises' over the years. Swimming with dolphins would take it to another level. Two of the kids and I got to swim briefly with dolphins in Hawaii two years ago, but my husband and son haven't had this experience yet. However, I know it isn't guaranteed you'll be able to actually get in the water with them. For that reason, I'd prefer not to book a tour that is just "all about the dolphins". Boomnet swimming, as offered on the Fuller's Cream Trip cruise, sounds fun for my athletic kids. The Carino day out also sounds lovely. I was also looking at the R. Tucker Thompson tour because it is certainly something a bit unique, but I wonder if teenagers would enjoy this as much as a parent thinks they *ought* to!

If anyone has experiences of taking these tours with teenagers, or just some advice to share when choosing a tour, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

Salt Air Tours
Cultural Tours, Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Explore
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Day Trips, Boat Tours
Sea Shuttle Bay of Islands
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding
Bay Of Islands Kayak Cruises
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Night Tours
Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
979 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best cruise/boat trip in Paihia with teenagers?

Luichan-There used to be a nice full day cruise aboard the Ipipiri but it finished in July this year.

Ive heard good things about The Rock boat tour which again is an overnight experience.

Paihia
Level Contributor
121 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best cruise/boat trip in Paihia with teenagers?

Hi, The Cream Trip is probably a good fun day for all the Family departing at 9.30am and returning at 4.15pm. this includes Islands Cruising, Dolphin Seeking and Viewing, Dolphin Swimming for an additional $30.00 per person if possible, Hole in the Rock, Island Stop Over and Boom Netting. I would suggest you take a Picnic Lunch with you. This is $125.00 per Adult and $62.50 per Child (5 - 14 Years) If a Child wishes to swim with dolphins they would need to be accompanied by and Adult. The R Tucker Thompson tail sailing ship leaves at 10.00am from Russell and Returns to Russell at 3.30pm where they give you a Free Return Ferry Ticket from Paihia. This is Cruising the Islands, Help sail the Ship and Take the Helm, Ride the Bowsprit or Climb the Rigging, Island Stop Over and Swimming, including Morning tea and Lunch on Board the Boat. This is $145.00 per Adult and $72.50 per Child (5 - 14 Years). Carino Sailing and Dolphins leaves at 9.30am and returns at 3.45pm. This includes Islands Cruising, Dolphin Viewing, Dolphin Swimming if possible, Island Stop Over, Snorkelling, Swimming and BBQ Lunch for $6.00 per person. This is $119.00 per Adult and Child $74.00 ( 4 - 14 Years). You have other various Sailing Trips which include Island Cruising, Hands on Sailing if you wish, Island Stop Over, Kayaking, Snorkelling, Swimming and Fresh Lunch provided. Leaving at 10.00am and returning 4.30pm with pricing from $95.00 per Adult and $50.00 per Child (5 - 14 years). I would suggest you have a look at Gungha www.bayofislandssailing.com and She's A Lady www.bay-of-islands.com Another Tour to maybe look at would be The Rock Adventure Cruise www.rocktheboat.co.nz There is an Ovenight Cruise which is for 22 Hours leaving at 5.00pm and retiring the next Day at 3.00pm. This is Island Cruising, Fishing, Night Kayaking, Dinner, Accommodation, Breakfast, Islands Stop Over, free Diving, Kayaking, Snorkelling, Beach Games, Islands Exploring and Swimming. This is a big house boat with downstairs all living area with Couches, Bar, Pool Table, Piano, Guitars, Games and Books. Upstairs is all Accommodation. The price for this is Group Cabin $221.00 per Adult and $184.00 per Child (3 - 12 Years) or Shared Room (takes 6 People with 3 sets of bunks) is $221.00 per Person. Alternatively they do a Sunset/Sunrise Tour which is Island Cruising, Fishing, Night Kayaking, Free Diving, Dinner, Accommodation and Breakfast. This Departs at 5.00pm and returns at 9.00am the next Day and is Group Cabin $168.00 per Adult and $138.00 per Child (3-12 Years) or Shared Room $168.00 per Person. Gungha, She's A Lady and Rock Adventure Cruise are not Licensed for Dolphin so no Dolphin Swimming but it does not mean you will not see Dolphins. I hope this is of help giving you a bit more of the options I think would be good for your family. Regards Sue

3. Re: Best cruise/boat trip in Paihia with teenagers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2017, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Paihia
Recent Conversations