We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drone Rental

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
30 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Drone Rental

Is anyone aware of a place where I can rent a drone in Christchurch? I'll be visiting the South Island in 2 weeks, and would love to capture aerial imagery of the spectacular scenery.

Preferably looking to rent the DJI Mavic Pro, but I know it's not entirely available yet.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drone Rental

Kea think they are food and pigeons try to mate with them.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drone Rental

Proves my point

https:/…drone-warning-franz-josef

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
15,942 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drone Rental

"The owner of the device told authorities he did not know about the controlled airspace or the rules about flying a drone."

=============

So the operator didn't even bother to familiarise themselves with the rules about flying a drone.

Utterly stupid.

I don't fancy the idea of coming across a drone when I'm trying to relax or hd ung dime solitude.

However, I think they're a wonderful tool for the likes of surveying in the back country.

Edited: 01 May 2017, 13:14
Oz
Level Contributor
14,382 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drone Rental

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEpWBE5GdiM

Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
59 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drone Rental

We were enjoying a pleasant moment at one of the lookouts on a scenic route a few weeks ago. Such a peaceful moment soaking in the incredible beauty of New Zealand and enjoying the calm you can find on the South Island. There were other tourists around, but everyone else was just enjoying the scenery like us. Then a guy pulled up with his drone and the moment disappeared. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

And speaking of waiting for people to get out of the way, my husband is very big into photography so we made a stop at the famous tree in Wanaka so he could set up some nature shots. Of course others were walking around and getting their own pics so we expected to wait a bit to get the right angle without too many people about. But one woman was standing right next to the tree, making her boyfriend take picture after picture after picture. I am not exaggerating when I say she stood there for 30 minutes, oblivious to everyone around her waiting to take pictures without her bright teal blazer in view. And they were using a cell phone camera, so it wasn't like some artistic shoot. It's troubling how many people lack the ability to consider how their actions affect others.

Edited: 01 May 2017, 14:11
Mentioned in this post
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
South Island
South Island
New Zealand
Wanaka
Wanaka
Otago Region, New Zealand
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drone Rental

I've been thinking: it is far better for everyone concerned to get a rifle and go drone hunting than, say, pig hunting. More fun/challenge than clay pigeons as well.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Drone Rental

Drones obviously have their uses. I believe they are good for finding hot spots in bushfires and the Dunedin Cathedral used one last year for checking the building, easier than scaffolding. They should be used by licensed responsible people. I think we take photos and movies to remind us of what we saw or perhaps show to family and friends. So if I film out of a helicopter in which I am flying that is a memory but using a drone is not a record of my personal experience.

Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,506 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Drone Rental

That FJG story is shocking as public safety was put at risk.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,862 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Drone Rental

According to another report the drone was hovering directly over the helicopter landing pads! That is just downright plain stupidity. It should have been taken off the tourist and destroyed.

stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/west-coast/920987…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Drone Rental

You don't need a rifle Barry. Had one heading our way so I fetched a slingshot I had made especially for the occasion. Checked the area behind it. It took 1 attempt and the owner hot the message.

They are useful tools in the right place. However encroaching on my privacy is not their right place. A few months ago NZTA prosecuted someone for flying down the new stretch of motorway at Belfast.