We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Hi I will be in Christchurch early April. If I can only visit one market, Riccarton Market or Christchurch Farmers' Market?

Also, is Nin's Bin worth a visit from Christchurch or from Mairaki Rd, Rangiora? I will not travel any further up than Mairaki Rd, Rangiora but I heard Nin's Bin is famous for its' crayfish and other fresh seafood.

Where can I find good bluff oyster in April? I will not visit Bluff and will only visit Christchurch, Lake Tekapo, Dunedin, Queenstown.

Thanks in advanced for all advice.

10 replies to this topic
Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
743 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

There will be plenty of Bluff oysters in Dunedin Restaurants from March 1st. I presume in other towns as well.

Dunedin, New Zealand
Level Contributor
145 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

In Dunedin the "Best Cafe" tripadvisor.co.nz/Restaurant_Review-g255119-… is a local icon with Bluff Oysters a specialty.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,190 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Nin's Bin is not in Rangiora. It "was" north of Kaikoura. I'm not sure if it is open as there is a voluntary ban on collecting seafood following the devastating effects of the earthquakes on the sea bed.

The two markets are very different. The Riccarton Rotary Market is very much a flea market aimed at people who want to buy or sell secondhand goods, whereas Christchurch Farmers' Market (also in the suburb of Riccarton) is a very high quality food market for locally produced oils, wine, beer, vegetables, speciality meats, cheeses, nuts, cakes, bread etc as well as pop-up restaurants from half a dozen different countries selling Japanese okonomiyaki, German bratwurst, Chinese dumplings, Colombian empanadas etc.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Thank you Brian and Bruce for the advice.

Hi Zhuhai 2007, yeah I know Nin's Bin is in Kaikoura. I mean the furthest I will travel is only up to Rangiora and I wonder if Nin's Bin worth to spend 1.5-2 hours drive one way from Rangiora.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Will I be able to find any crayfish in Christchurch or any other towns other than Kaikoura? 2 hours one way from Christchurch is quite far IMO.

Edited: 02 January 2017, 16:22
Christchurch
Level Contributor
1,734 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

You cannot currently get to Nin's Bin, the road is blocked by slips. You used to be able to get crayfish from Akaroa but I don't know if they still sell it from the wharf there. You should be able to buy crayfish from a fish shop in Christchurch but you will likely have to cook it yourself. Try contacting this place: http://theosfisheries.co.nz/wholesale.php

Crayfish or lobster is sometimes sold in our supermarkets as well but if it is lobster check that it is from NZ and not imported.

Edited: 03 January 2017, 09:47
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Hi Puk3k0, thanks for your advice, I have no problem to cook crayfish myself. I just want to know where I can get it. Maybe I can buy a few of them and bring to Dunedin the next day also. I have emailed Theos Fisheries, see if they sell crayfish in retail.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
344 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Hi just want to know how do I pay for parking when I park my car at place like Mona Vale Ave or Ayr St?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,190 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Parking at Mona Vale is free, same with all residential streets outside the city centre. If you are staying at a BnB in Ayr St and there is no parking available, there is plenty of free parking along the railway line on the western side of Mona Vale Ave, but you have to get there before the girls from CGHS take it all (after school is easy).

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,083 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017

Theo's fish shop is in Riccarton Road. The have fresh fish and Fish and Chips and is not far from where you are. They will have crayfish and Bluff oysters. (bluff being the name of a places as opposed to fake:) )

Just be sure the propieter of the place you are staying is happy for you to cook sea food.

There are quite a few good fish shops in Christchurch, and supermarkets will sell oysters.

Clevdon coast oysters will be the farmed variety, Bluff oysters are dredged from the sea bed and are the "real deal".

Reply to: Visit to Christchurch in April 2017
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted