We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with just over a day in Christchurch

Marlow
Level Contributor
237 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
What to do with just over a day in Christchurch

We will be in Christchurch for 2 nights later this month. We'll arrive in time for dinner on the 1st night, have all the next day free and then have a flight out at noon on the last day.

My question is about how best to use this time. We'll be staying in a B & B near the airport but will have a rental car.

We are 2 active 60 year old adults. We're not keen on spending hours in a museum but quite like to have a general overview of a new city and its history. I'm fascinated with the Antarctic and am drawn to the Antarctic Centre but wonder if the rides etc. are more geared towards children - though have LOVED 4D experiences in the past!! If we do go there, is the Xpress pass worth considering?

I've looked at various tours - Rebuild, tram, various bus tours, but just can't seem to choose between them. Any recommendations?

Finally, are there any restaurants for our evening meal that we can easily reach from our B & B in the Avonhead/Burnside area? We don't mind a longish walk and prefer to walk than drive so that we can have a glass or two of wine with our meal!

Thanks for any tips

11 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: What to do with just over a day in Christchurch

Valentino's is always reliable. Check their menu to see if it suits. If not there are a few other places around there.

Villas is a favourite of mine, It's about a 5 min drive further. While these places are all in town, that's 10~15 minutes from the airport precinct, and 5 or 10 minute walk from Gardens, museum and art gallery.

Reply to: What to do with just over a day in Christchurch
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted