We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re:Start Mall closes

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
353 reviews
Save Topic
Re:Start Mall closes

After nearly 6 years of colourful existence the Re:Start Mall in Christchurch's downtown Cashel St has been wound up. A few stalls will keep trading until Spring when construction of a new Farmers' Market on the site begins.

Many visitors and locals will be sad to lose this vibrant space, which enabled many shops & cafes to keep trading after the 2010-2011 earthquakes.

14 replies to this topic
Berkeley, California
Level Contributor
58 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

Too bad. Glad we made it to the Re:Start mall just before it closed. We went April 19th before catching our flight back to the states. We enjoyed the nice temporary exhibit about the creation of the mall in one of the containers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

It is always sad to lose things that added to the enjoyment of others and allowed the locals to make a living after the devastation but that is progress.

I am sure there is bigger plans afoot for the area with the farmers market and all the new construction going on in the city centre. Just a pity after all this time they can't agree on the restoration of the Cathedral which was an icon in town.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

It is a shame, it was such a vibrant part of the city. I suspect the new won't have nearly as much character. If anyone would like to see photos etc here's my blog on -A City Rebuilding- Christchurch'. This is part two, there's a link to part 1 included in the post if you'd like to see it all.

https://tikitouringnz.blogspot.co.nz/2016/08…

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

Great photos as always, Zappers. There are even a couple of murals that I haven't seen before.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,421 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

Thanks zhuhai, glad you enjoyed them.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,099 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

A "well done" from me Zappers.

Town seems to be buzzing these days as office workers return to the CBD. It will be interesting to see what happens to those newish office blocks on the edge. I think the Government did the right thing in committing to staying in the CBD. If it hadn't we would have a doh-nut city. Shrinking the size also helped.

I have been into a couple of those new office blocks. Despite reducing the footprint per worker there are very pleasant working conditions that show what a difference good design makes.

Just a shame about the pigeon loft in the square. They should keep the Chalice in the Square and move the war memorial as Cranmer Square would do it justice.

When Science Alive moves to the old Court site and the Library moves to the Square there will be lots of people in the centre. It will be much nice than pre-quake.

Edited: 01 May 2017, 10:53
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
35,199 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

I went for a walk this morning, Mike, and by lunchtime there were certainly more people shopping & eating in town than a few months ago. It still doesn't seem to be quite the right balance yet - too many cafes, not enough evening restaurants for hotel guests & not enough "small" businesses - dry cleaner, florist, shoe repair/Mister Minit-type like there used to be to get workers out & about at lunchtime. There were still at least half of the container shops operating.

I love the way the eels have taken up residence at the foot of the Terraces - being hand fed by the construction workers!!

KL
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

I will be coming to Christchurch this early October. Does that means that it will be less attraction there and I should reduce my number of nights there for city walk?

Surrey England
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

We first saw the city pre-earthquake and have visited three more times since then.On our last trip,three years from the previous one,we noticed a big difference in the city.There were certainly more people about and a sense of optimism about the future.

I agree though about lack of eating establishments in the centre of town for the evening but no doubt they will come.

I do hope we get to return to see the city in a few years from now as I think it will be an exciting place.

Peachtree Corners...
Level Contributor
310 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Re:Start Mall closes

I thought this was such a clever way of making something good out of a bad situation. I enjoyed going through there a few times. I'd like to see what everything looks like in a year or two further.

Reply to: Re:Start Mall closes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted