We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet/ Wifi

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
Internet/ Wifi

Hi guys, I wanted to see what you thought of the public wifi/ internet access in Christchurch city centre.

Did you find the free public wifi easy to connect to?

Did you buy a sim card so you could have data on your phone?

5 replies to this topic
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet/ Wifi

You won't find much Free Wifi in the city.

The Libary and local mall do offer Wifi.

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet/ Wifi

Cheers Sezabbee.

Keen to hear if any visitors to Christchurch have found it useful to buy data in order to navigate around.

Ho Chi Minh City...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet/ Wifi

We did have to buy a Sim card with 3GB data with the price of NZD50. You rarely find free wifi locations even in restaurants. My hotel offered free wifi but cannot use either. If you drive, you should consider to buy one.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
34,786 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet/ Wifi

Every cafe I go to has free wifi - maybe restaurants don't - but who would use wifi in a restaurant??

Most accommodation will have wifi so yes you should buy a SIM card - Spark also has free wifi from what look like phone boxes everywhere. 2Degrees gives away SIM cards at the i-Site and from Rental car companies.

Christchurch, New...
12 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet/ Wifi

that's good feedback. thanks guys. from my experience accommodations always have wifi. sometimes you have to pay for it. wifi at cafes I've found to be unreliable. There are quite a few in town that don't have wifi and don't want to. based off of what everyone's said, there is wifi access, but if you want wifi while roaming around town, you'll need to get a sim card with data.

Reply to: Internet/ Wifi
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted