We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
268 reviews
Save Topic
Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

We plan to drive from Christchurch to Greymouth for our Dec trip instead of taking the transalpine express. Is that an easy drive or should we expect any weather or difficult driving conditions? Any advice will be much appreciated Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Greymouth
Greymouth
West Coast Region, New Zealand
Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

the photo stop / look out is well sign posted Look for a sign saying 'Deaths Corner' an odd name I know , but its history dates to the early stage coach days, when the steering king pin failed, on a stage coach and the wheels came out, and the front of the stage coach crashed to the ground. A child on board was killed.

Have an awesome holiday

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,457 posts
430 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

I did a quick trip to AP yesterday and the weather was great. We encountered kea everywhere, including the Otira lookout, the Bealey Valley walk AND the cafe in the village where we watched one drinking milk from the jug on the table!

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Imagine the Keas behaviour if it was beer in the jug!!!!!!! they are bad enough with out intoxication, so I suppose if they stay on milk their antics wont change a lot. Cheers zhuhai

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,937 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Please resist the temptation to feed the kea. Their are great big signs up asking you not to. The Kea loose the ability to forage and starve in the off season. Anyway they are supposed to eat bugs and plants not sandwiches or fruit cake.

There are only 5000 left and need all the help theu can get. They are a truly magnificent bird. My profile photo was taken at the lookout.

Edited: 28 September 2011, 04:31
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
1,330 posts
268 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Noted the advice not to feed the keas. It is really sad that careless actions by humans can sometimes cause tremedous harm to wildlife.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

I think Punchbowl Falls walk took us less than 10 minutes each way, although we walk quite fast. I'm sure your 5yo could do it. There was a school trip just leaving as we arrived, with a lot of young kids.

I love the drive from Chch to Greymouth, I did a fortnightly return trip for 6 months and never got sick of it. Some parts are winding and narrow. Just take it easy, if you are holding up others then pull over when you can and let them pass. Expect to get stuck behind slow trucks at some point, there are no passing lanes so relax and enjoy the scenery until it is safe to pass.

There is almost no risk of snow on the road in December.

Mentioned in this post
Greymouth
Greymouth
North London
Level Contributor
7 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Hi

This was a very helpful thread for me as we're driving fm Christchurch to Greymouth early Nov. I have driven in the mountains in Europe which was ok so this should be fine too!

What's the likelyhood we encounter snow early Nov? I suppose we can rent chains for our hire car? Does the AP close in bad weather?

Thanks

Scorpio

Mentioned in this post
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
Greymouth
Greymouth
Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
329 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

Yes the pass closes in bad weather (snow only). You can rent chains from some petrol stations if you need to. Early November is very unlikely to have snow enough to close the road.

19. Re: Drive from Christchurch to Greymouth in Dec

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 12:15