We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Singapore
13 posts
Save Topic
Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Hello, we are going to Christchurch for our honeymoon from 28 Dec - 8 Jan. Planning to do some leisure self driving in the South Islands. Initially, we are planning to do a round trip from Christchurch to Queenstown (Christchurch - Lake Takapo - Mt Cook - Queenstown - Te Anau - Milford - Wanaka - Fox - Punakaiki - Christchurch), but I am afraid that there will be too much driving (husband driving alone as I can't drive) and too tiring. So we are considering doing a one way drive trip from Christchurch to Queenstown and taking a domestic flight from Queenstown to Christchurch for our international flight out. Is that a good idea? What domestic flights can we take? Appreciate your advices, thanks!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,461 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Yes, flying makes good use of your time.

Air NZ flys Queenstown to Chch

check http://grabaseat.co.nz/ for discounted tickets

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Just checked the website.

Both return fare from christchurch or One way respectively to christchurch & from queenstown seems to be the same.

Since i was planning to fly to christchurch from auckland & then back to auckland from queenstown, the above details suggest that i am not spending anything extra for not doing return flight to auckland.

Anything i am missing?

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Do you think your husband is not fit enough to drive for long? New Zealand driving is totally different in Singapore, you can see few cars on the road especially on highway, not much difficult to drive, but still need to be careful, get enough sleep is more important and don't make your itinerary so rush. I am still suggesting to have driving in the trip as can really see more interesting.

However, based on your itinerary, flight is good choice.

Regards

Heroes

http://newzealand-paradise.blogspot.com/

Flagstaff
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

We are also looking at doing this. Fare is the same no matter where we fly out of. Thought we might be able to see/do more in the 12 days we have. Any thoughts?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,249 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

Air NZ doesn't offer any discount for return fares on domestic flights so you easily add one or 2 domestic flights without having to worry about return flights. Sometimes your international airticket can also include a domestic sector at no extra cost. I frequently fly HKG-AKL-CHC for no more than HKG-AKL.

6. Re: Christchurch for 11 days - Self Drive and Flight (maybe)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 21:16