We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time with kids

singapore
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
1st time with kids

Hii all,i have finally decided that i will make a 10 day trip to NZ. with my 2 boys aged 8 and 6,And we would like to do some good shopping, fun for the kids and SI too.

Please advise to plan my itenary as I am really lost as to where to start from. We wont be driving.

I have also read that may forumers are suggesting that Feb is the best time to come, but I will be travelling possibly 20-30 Dec, will the weather be good ?

One last thing, is NZ always hit by earthquakes ?

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,236 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time with kids

Hi Peekyboo & welcome to the NZ forum. We need a bit more information. Will you be flying into AKL or CHC? and out of ...? What sort of budget - if you are not driving do you plan to fly from place to place; take buses or stay in one place? There is lots for kids to do in NZ, esp in summer but we need to know their interests - do they want to visit beaches, farms or museums? Most travellers with kids find it better to drive around NZ as you are more flexible and can stop wherever/whenever but there are buses that you can use.

singapore
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time with kids

Hi there, thanks for the reply. I will be flying into CHC, actually no idea yet, where do you think I should fly to ? I will be choosing the same airport to fly out.

No we wouldnt want to fly, is there a rail service? yeah the kids would love farms,beaches,zoo,anything child stuff.

If we rent a car,are the roads safe ?

Do we need to return the car at the same place we rent it from ?

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time with kids

I think you should find out more what do you prefer to do in NZ and refer to previous posts in this forum that stated many itineraries. Come out with you own itinenary then we can discuss.

If you are not really money concerned, you should rent a car as you have kids to take good care of. NZ road definitely is safe as easier driving as Singapore.

You need to identify you want to have budget or luxury? leisure or fast paced? Adventure or sightseeing?

February is the good time for visiting NZ, is summer but peak season. Advise to book your accommodation in advance. Accommodation can refer here http://www.wotif.com/

some proposed itineraries here …blogspot.com/2011/10/new-zealand-proposed-i…

Singapore tiger airway has a cheap air tickets to NZ if purchase in advance.

Enjoy and have a nice planning~~~

Regards,

Heroes19

http://newzealand-paradise.blogspot.com

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,106 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time with kids

The last earthquake similar to Christchurch was in Napier in 1931 so they are not that common. I think I read that Christchurch was shakken in the 1860's.

We do have the odd small shake around the country every few years, but the recent events in Christchurch are quite exceptional. You would have more chance of winning lotto that experiencing one.

I have visited Singapore and while I did not drive there, I would gues that driving her would be infinitely easier. A GPS to help navigating in the bigger cities may be helpful

singapore
Level Contributor
129 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time with kids

Hi Heroes, you mentioned that Feb is a good time to visit, but kids dont have holidays at that time thus, the reason why I thought of dec.

I am still contemplating whether I should travel to Dubai, London, Europe or NZ. If the weather is not going to be good, then I wont come to NZ this time.

Singapore
Level Contributor
168 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time with kids

December is the starting of Summer. The weather in New Zealand is unpredictable, the weather can be changed significantly over a night. Before conducting a outdoor activities, I suggest traveler to check the next 2 days weather forecast to ensure you can manage to get the thing you want.

Jan - Feb - you can come during chinese new year mar...haha.... but is not school holiday right??

Depending on what you like,

Shopping + seeing building history - Euro

More Shopping + less natural + building history- London

Natural + outdoor activities + landscaping + adventure + a bit shopping- NZ.

Dubai - erm...i dont know....hehe....

You can visit NZ in any four season as there is different "mood" in different season.

Regards,

Heroes19

http://newzealand-paradise.blogspot.com/

7. Re: 1st time with kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 12:16