We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

We are travelling around NZ early November and due to the airline cancelling our flight back, now have a extra day(thanks Jetstar). Was wondering if it was worth the drive from Akaroa(this was our last stop before leaving) going via Pigeon Bay,Diamond Bay, then around to Lytteton, then into CC. Aware Lytteton was damaged in the earthquake, so don't want to be in the way. Thanks for any feed back

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,175 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

It is a beautiful drive. I did this only a week or two ago and thoroughly enjoyed it but my passenger found it VERY scary due to the steep drop-off on the unsealed road between Pigeon Bay & Port Levy. However if you are driving west you will be on the "inside lane" so will feel safer. You don't need to pass through Lyttelton itself. I'd turn off at Governors Bay and cross the hill at Dyers Pass (Sign of the Kiwi). It will take at least 2-3 hours. There is food available at Diamond Harbour if needed.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
22 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a nice drive

Save Reply
3. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Please do not feel you are "getting in the way". Lyttleton is a wonderful part of Christchurch, it's alternative and has a very strong sence of community. You will find great restaurants still open such as Fishermans Whalf on Norwich Qy. It's worth the extra 20 mins drive around the Harbour. Plus the bays that way, Rapaki and Corsair bay are great swimming spots (if you Aussies are brave enough :) )

Take the summit road around then down into Okains bay, from there across into Little Akaloa( where you can enjoy a nice packed lunch down in the bay or up at the historic saint lukes church) back up to the summit road, down into Pidgeon bay, port levy and Purau.

Head right around to lyttleton for dinner.

A great day trip, but as posted above be prepared for very windy narrow and some unsealed roads.

Enjoy your time here, I love Adelaide because it's alot like Christchurch only better, so I imagine you will like it here too.

Save Reply
4. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Please do not feel you are "getting in the way". Lyttleton is a wonderful part of Christchurch, it's alternative and has a very strong sence of community. You will find great restaurants still open such as Fishermans Whalf on Norwich Qy. It's worth the extra 20 mins drive around the Harbour. Plus the bays that way, Rapaki and Corsair bay are great swimming spots (if you Aussies are brave enough :) )

Take the summit road around then down into Okains bay, from there across into Little Akaloa( where you can enjoy a nice packed lunch down in the bay or up at the historic saint lukes church) back up to the summit road, down into Pidgeon bay, port levy and Purau.

A great day trip, but as posted above be prepared for very windy narrow and some unsealed roads.

Enjoy your time here, I love Adelaide because it's alot like Christchurch only better, so I imagine you will like it here too.

Save Reply
5. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Save Reply
6. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
8,079 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Well, you can say that again :)

This is a great drive. Just be careful if you stop at She, in Governors Bay. The view down the harbour is quite stunning regardles of the weather. It's another one of those places where with the right coffee and a bit of chocklate you time is stolen away. They must grow the Lotus!

There is no need to worry about being in the way. If you wander around the residential areas of the eastern suburbs you might get a "short sharp shift" but anywhere else you will be competing with the locals for photos. You could do a study on 101 things to do with a shipping container, get photos of all the search graphiti left by the different SARs teams. Perhaps just wonder at the power of nature and try and guess what was there.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
35,175 posts
353 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

Mike - I love the idea of 101 things to do with shipping container - we need someone creative to start a website like the longdrop one. My votes would go to the retaining wall around Redcliffs & the Carlton Pub so far but I'm eagerly awaiting the Cashel Mall reopening in a couple of weeks - a whole street of shipping containers.

9. Re: Akaroa to Christchurch via the other side of Banks peninsula

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 15:18