We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

how to travel to Armidale

Bandung, Indonesia
2 posts
Save Topic
how to travel to Armidale

I want to know how to travel from Gold Coast QLD to Armidale NSW. I've googled a lot but only found infos on how to travel to Armidale from Sydney, via airplane, train or bus. Is there any train that connects Gold Coast to Armidale? How long will it takes?

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
27,801 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: how to travel to Armidale

No. There's no train from the Gold Coast to Armidale. By train, you'd have to go from Robina to Brisbane, then to Maitland near Newcastle then back north to Armidale. Not a good plan.

Best would be to get to Roma Street in Brisbane and then catch a Greyhound bus to Armidale. Greyhound have specials on at the moment. www.greyhound.com.au/bookings/specials.aspx

Luigi

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: how to travel to Armidale

Just a quick response. There would not be a train going from the Gold Coast to Armidale as the train route goes down the coast.

You could possibly get a train from Brisbane to Grafton or Coffs Harbour and then a bus up to Armidale.

My suggestion is that there would be a bus running, probably from Brisbane, down the New England highway. Try Greyhound at http://www.greyhound.com.au/ which shows a fare up to Brisbane thence to Armidale.

I'm sure there will be locals who may be able to add more, cheerz Wabster.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: how to travel to Armidale

No direct route from Gold Coast to Armidale by train. The rail link from Brisbane to Armidale ceased to operate decades ago.

Indirectly you could travel from GC, BNE, SYD (or maybe Newcastle), then SYD to Armidale - but that is extremely indirect. Bus & plane would be more direct, days faster & likely cheaper.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
791 posts
657 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: how to travel to Armidale

Snap!!

Bandung, Indonesia
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: how to travel to Armidale

Thanks a lot for your info guys...

I've just been googling my self to see the train network and you are all correct, there's no direct route from GC to Arm, and if I took the train, it would take too long since the train will go to Sydney first before heading to Armidale..So far, the best way would be to take a bus...Thanks :)

Armidale, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: how to travel to Armidale

This might be helpful if you want to travel by train to Coffs and then take the bus up to Armidale:

http://www.coffs.tv/transport/keansTravel.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
45 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: how to travel to Armidale

Any reason you can't drive? While the public transport is very convaluted, driving is very simple... Head west to Beaudesert, south to the border, jump on the New England Highway, and it's only a few hours down the road...

If you have to take public transport, the bus is easiest.

8. Re: how to travel to Armidale

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 June 2011, 13:19
Get answers to your questions about Armidale