We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gold coast public transport in winter

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
gold coast public transport in winter

hello, i am planning to go to gc on june 2015 and planning to go around gc by public transport. but then i've heard that public transport in winter is not reliable where people have to wait for long hours for buses. is it true?

is it better for me to travel by car or public transport in winter? i have 3 children - 4yrs, 2 yrs and 3+month baby. renting a car is quite expensive and i thought public transport will help me to reduce cost on transportation.

Surfers Paradise...
Level Contributor
21 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

Hi, Any.

No that is not true, public transport is always on time here. I personally believe that car would be better because you will be flexible and you also can cover much more than with public transport. You can go to hinterland or any beach - its so advantage to choose where to go with your kids. I think if you plan it well the overall costs would not be so high.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

There is no difference with public transport at any time of year ... it's the same in any season ... whoever told you that is wrong.

Oz
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

Hi,

Winter is the time of the Grey Nomad invasion so expect public transport to be busy and the free services packed.

The snow ploughs keep the streets pretty clear with particular attention to the bus shelters so you should be safe from hypothemia in most instances. Should you hire a car make sure you get the package with snow chains and have the rental agency show you how to fit them.

Cheers,

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

I assume the baby will be in a pram or pusher?Traveling with three young children on public transport would be my idea of hell. While you won't have to wait hours, you will still be waiting around at bus stops and in all likelihood, you will not have a bust stop right at your hotel or destination.

If you are planning to visit theme parks, they are not all well served by public transport. Getting to Mt Tambourine or the Hinterland is almost impossible.

If you have a car you can come and go as you please and at short notice and you might even find that the overall cost is not that much more when you take into consideration transfers to and from the airport.

However, if you do chose to use public transport, there are no 'summer' and 'winter' timetables.

Gungahlin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
15,068 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

>>i've heard that public transport in winter is not reliable where people have to wait for long hours for buses.<<

Different part of Australia perhaps? Btw the Gold Coast does not have winter, but that's from my perspective :-)

Edited: 29 December 2014, 10:12
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
9 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

this is from a friend to a friend.. i am too a little bit surprised when I've been told about the unreliable timetable for public transport in gc. any way.. i will only be going to theme parks (sea world, movie world, currumbin, wet n wild (if its not so cold), harbour town). so i feel that using public transport is much easier i dont have to search for parking, pump station and all. i've search for car renting and it cost me $300 for 5 days. Is it worth it?

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

there are umpteen buses to seaWorld daily, its hardly difficult....the other parks are further to travel and you might need to a) amuse the kids along the way to avoid them upsetting other passengers, or getting bored themselves, and b) keep a watch on time to make the timetabled departure bus, thus avoiding a longer wait outside the theme park - there is nothing to do in the car parks while waiting.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
10,702 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

Is it worth it? Only you can answer that ... personally I would pay that and to me it sounds really cheap.

If you drive to Dreamworld from Broadbeach it will take you around 30 mins ... if you use public transport around an hour, only you can decide if it's worth it and with 3 really young children on a bus! . The Gold Coast is a big area, a car is obviously more convenient ... it's up to you. If you choose the car you will need child seats for each child, that will cost you more if not already costed in.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

$60 a day (less all the costs of public transport) sounds like a bargain to me.

You can probably do better than that - have a look at Alpha Car Rental. We always use them at the coast and have never had a problem yet.

Just thinking about all the gear you will have to carry for a day out with 3 children - as well as carrying the baby, makes my brain hurt!

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,264 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: gold coast public transport in winter

plus the costs of petrol and parking could make that $80 a day. and then I would chose an outside the central Surfers paradise area to stay - its horrendous driving there much of the day/evening

Edited: 29 December 2014, 11:35