We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Maafushi island open?

Sal
Pakistan
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Hi we are travelling from Karachi to Male, in first week of October. But someone just told me Maafushi is closed, only resorts are operating. I’m not sure what should I do cuz I was booking my hotel through booking.com but now I don’t know what am I supposed to do. Pls help!

17 replies to this topic
Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
55 reviews
129 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Hello Sal and welcome to the forum.

Unfortunately this is correct. At the moment tourists are not allowed to visit local islands and Maafushi is a local island. We do not know if things will change before October.

If you are unable to change or cancel your flight, the only alternatives are to wait and see or to book a resort. If you let us know your budget in US dollars, forum members will be able to advise if there is anything within your price range.

Edited: 2 years ago
Sal
Pakistan
Level Contributor
180 posts
2 reviews
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Oh I didn’t know that. We are on budget, if anyone could recommend a budget resort from October 6th-13th, that’d be great. Thulusdhoo is also closed atm? Can we stay at Male city? And take excursion trips everyday? I’m just not sure what should we do. 🥺

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
55 reviews
129 helpful votes
3. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Unfortunately Male city is no-go, too. That is where the main infections are located.

Thulusdhoo is a local island so currently off limits to tourists.

It is difficult to suggest anywhere without knowing your budget. Try emailing Embudu Village for some quotes. They are due to reopen tomorrow. There may be some deals.

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,072 posts
31 reviews
35 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Hello Sal,

At the present time tourists cannot travel to any "local" or "inhabited island, that is those islands where Maldivian people live and work due to the COVID pandemic. This includes Male and the "airport island" of Hulhumale.

Numbers of COVID cases in The Maldives are rising at a worrying rate at present and there have been warnings that hospitals will struggle to cope with demand for beds or with the ability to treat patients if this continues. Most cases are of course being reported on Male, the Capital City and a very built up, densely populated island but there are cases on other "local" islands and a small number (15 at present) on resort islands.

It's a difficult time for the country and if you are planning to travel in October I'd strongly suggest keeping a watch on the Maldives Public Health updates on Twitter as the situation is still fluid and may change at short notice. Also ensure that you check whether travel insurance will cover you should you encounter any COVID related delays or cancellations or fall ill on your trip to be sure you understand what may be covered and what would not.

As Dianna says your only option with the situation as it is at present is to book a stay at a resort, which is permitted at the present time.

India
Level Contributor
258 posts
23 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Hi Sal

Should you decide to have a look at ‘budget’ resorts (this is subjective - means different to different people), you may have a look at Embudu, Thulhagiri, Biyadhoo etc. But to know more it’s recommended that you look at their recent reviews and also search the forum to get a sense of what can be expected.

Also searching through ‘budget resort’ in the forum will give you more reference.

Do know that resorts in general mandate compulsory transfers through speedboat/ domestic flight/sea plane from airport which can turn out in the end to be a substantial cost added to the resort costs.

Edited: 2 years ago
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
21 reviews
26 helpful votes
6. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Embudu has very cheap transfer fees compared to most resorts in the maldives.

I've been to Embudu like Dianna53 has as well. It's a nice little island and not too expensive. If you don't drink alcohol then for breakfast, lunch and dinner the prices are quite good. They have garden rooms which are the same as the others, but a bit cheaper because they are not right on the beach.

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
55 reviews
129 helpful votes
7. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Sal, I have read that announcement about when local islands may reopen is expected to be made this week.

Northumberland...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
55 reviews
129 helpful votes
8. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Update ** it has been announced that local islands may be able to re-open from 15th October 2020 subject to Local Council Agreements.

Sadly too late for you, Sal.

London, United...
Level Contributor
85 posts
8 reviews
12 helpful votes
9. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

Unfortunately, there is a high chance that the local island won't be opened until Nov. Because the number of new COVID cases is not changing a lot.

So will see the situation at the end of September

1 post
1 review
10. Re: Is Maafushi island open?
Save

What is the current situation about local island stay like Maafushi.. i have booked ticket from Dec-6 to onward.. i want to spend two days in maafushi island and some in private resort. so basically its a split trip..

Please guide me in detail thanks

Reply to: Is Maafushi island open?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maafushi Island
© 2022 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Malaysia. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.