We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Noosa during the triathlon

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Noosa during the triathlon

We have just booked our flights to noosa in October and then found out that we will be there during the weekend of the triathlon. It will cost me a bomb to change our flights. I was wondering what it is like in noosa during that time? I assume it will be really busy, with higher prices for everything. But will there be road closures or beach closures for the whole of the 5 days of the event? Any tips on where to stay to be less affected by the crowds and the event itself?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
154 reviews
1. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

How many nights are you coming for?

Did you have any particular area that you were going to stay before you found out about the triathlon?

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

We'll be there for 4 nights from 30 Oct to 3 Nov.

We have never been to the Sunshine Coast and so don't really know the area. But based on my research to date, I like the look of the Sheraton, being close to everything and having a great pool. We will be travelling with my 3 yo so wanted something convenient.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
154 reviews
3. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

The Sheraton does have a great pool and pool bar! as well as being very convenient to everything.

Look it is right in the middle of the action with the triathlon and the hotel will be busy as lots of athletes will book it, so book now!

Without a car and trying to drive around, you will be fine, the event is very well organised.

I'd stick to your idea of staying at the Sheraton or the nearby Sebel

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
369 posts
361 reviews
4. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

Hi,

Noosa during the triathlon does get a bit nuts. Everywhere especially close to Hastings St is packed.

Here is their event schedule:

usmevents.com.au/Triathlon___Multi_Sport/Noo…

I can only stress to book your accommodation NOW. Most people are return visitors and book the year ahead, it does get that packed.

Sheraton will be madness around that time of the year, it has got a nice pool, yes but it's also right in the epicentre (right opposite the main event area), so you have the action and the noise that goes along with it.

I would get myself some wheels (road closures are signposted and you can drive around most of it - only the main triathlon event Noosa and Nossaville get shut down from midnight to midday) and stay on the river on Gympie Terrace (great for a 3 year old), lots of parkland and flat walks, playground and the river acticties right there, ltttle beaches for toddlers to splash in.

The Outrigger and the Pacific Resort are nice for that.

If you need/want to stay at Hastings St,you just need to be aware that you will see Noosa at its absolute fullest and there is another event area in the Noosa Woods as well which is the West End of Hastinsg St.

Most locals avoid Noosa Heads like the plague (unless they are spectating). I live right by the National Park and we tend to stay away and go to Coolum/Peregian instead or to Byron for a weekend!

Another way to be a little away from the madness is to stay in beautiful Sunshine Beach, plenty of resorts there too with pools and cafes and restaurants, 5 minute drive to Noosa, 10 minutes by bus.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,495 posts
295 reviews
5. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

Hi

I was in Noosaville a couple of times during the Triathlon and now avoid it like the plague.

For a start, many accommodation providers charge high season rates for that period. And it's very crowded.

Another thing we found annoying were the large groups of cyclists practising for several weeks before the event. They tended to be a law unto themselves - refusing to stop at pedestrian crossings and sometimes yelling to tell you to get out of the way.

So, as others have said, get your accommodation booked quickly. As I've said, Noosaville rates increase as well as Noosa Heads so maybe somewhere like Sunshine Beach would suit. If you're going to have a car there are plenty of other options.

6. Re: Noosa during the triathlon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 13:16