We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villalobos

Level Contributor
15 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Villalobos

Has anyone driven from Zamora to Villalobos, Spain? I know there’s likely not to be much to see, however it’s where my family name originated & I’d like to see the place before I die.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Zamora
Zamora
915 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Spain
Spain
Europe
2 replies to this topic
Cantabria
Destination Expert
for Cantabria
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villalobos

Not been there, and I doubt much to see, no! I think you'd probably need a car to get there too. It's doable though, you can fly to Valladolid or get the train to Valladolid from Madrid (unless you have a particular desire to go to Zamora). If you do hire a car then to get there, then you could make a nice day of it, there are some beautiful places around there, Urueña for one.

Mentioned in this post
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Zamora
Zamora
915 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
St Austell, United...
Level Contributor
3,899 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Villalobos

You can look at it on Google Earth Street View. It's tiny but got the usual huge, medieval church. Ayuntamiento, panaderia, usual sort of thing. Reminds me of a village we stayed over in Aragon - most of the houses look awful but when you look into the history it is very old and quite interesting. Villalobos seems to have been founded in 1159, not taken over from muslims but actually founded as part of the repopulation process when it was customary to dish out lands to friends and nobles.

All depends how much you appreciate this sort of basic history and culture - as opposed to massive tourist sites like the Alhambra. and the Palacio Real at Aranjuez. It's all history and often in these places town halls and churches keep considerable records of births, deaths and marriages - always hoping they didn't get destroyed in the civil war.

In your situation I'd be there like a shot. There's bound to be a bar to refresh. Valladolid is indeed the place to fly to if possible (Stansted?). We flew in there once and had a hire car.

Edited: 31 October 2017, 19:31
Mentioned in this post
Aragon
Aragon
Spain
Aranjuez
Aranjuez
Community of Madrid, Spain
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
Reply to: Villalobos