We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zamora - worth a visit?

Level Contributor
399 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Zamora - worth a visit?

Planning a two day trip somewhere 2-3 hours max from Madrid, where we live. Looking at Zamora but looking for any feedback from previous visitors. We like sightseeing and seeing some of the surrounding area of a place (maybe Toro?). Just wondering if Zamora will give us enough to see/do.

Slightly thinking of Soria as an alternative so interested if anyone can make a comparison.

Done all the more obvious smaller cities within close range of Madrid (Toledo, Segovia, Ávila, Salamanca, Burgos and Valladolid). Should we visit Zamora next?

Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Community of Madrid, Spain
Zamora
Zamora
935 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Soria
Soria
Province of Soria, Spain
Toledo
Toledo
Province of Toledo, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
Salamanca
Salamanca
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Burgos
Burgos
Province of Burgos, Spain
Valladolid
Valladolid
Province of Valladolid, Spain
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

I found the city fascinating. But I like historic buildings and relaxing a atmosphere to a city.

I want to visit Toro too, perhaps next year. There are quite a number of villages to explore around the area too.

If taking the car the trip is around 2.5 to 3 hours away from Madrid. Trains do not run so regularly.

A few websites to help you make up your mind.

http://www.turismoenzamora.es/

spain.info/en/…zamora.html

Edited: 28 September 2014, 05:54
Mentioned in this post
Madrid
Madrid
Takapuna, New...
Level Contributor
3,807 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

We stayed in Zamora for a night between Ourense and Segovia this year. Nice city, very historic. We stayed at NH Palacio del Duero for 60 euro. Great hotel, very modern and stylish but fits in well with the old buildings. It is down by the river with a bit of a climb up to the Plaza Mayor. Another place I recommend is Caceres. It is about 3 hours drive SW of Madrid, has a beautiful old town, good museums and galleries and a good vibe. If you are into great food, Atrio is the restaurant to visit. It has 2 Michelin stars and Tono deserves both of them.

We preferred Avila to Zamora, but Caceres to Avila, if that helps. We love walking around very old walled towns.

Edited: 28 September 2014, 05:58
Mentioned in this post
Zamora
Zamora
935 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Ourense
Ourense
Province of Ourense, Spain
Segovia
Segovia
Province of Segovia, Spain
NH Zamora Palacio del Duero
NH Zamora Palacio del...
698 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Plaza Mayor
Plaza Mayor
21,531 Reviews
Madrid, Spain
Caceres
Caceres
Province of Caceres, Spain
Madrid
Madrid
Avila
Avila
Province of Avila, Spain
Level Contributor
399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

Thanks - really helpful! Was in Cáceres last year: lovely place, and enjoyed visiting Trujillo and Merida in Extremadura as well.

Mentioned in this post
Trujillo
Trujillo
Province of Caceres, Spain
Merida
Merida
Province of Badajoz, Spain
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

Then this should be location for you too. :-)

Level Contributor
399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

Off to Zamora next week - thanks for the recommendations. Thinking of doing a day trip one of the days to a nearby town. Toro is the obvious trip so if anyone has been there and can comment on it, I would be very grateful. Any other ideas of places to visit within an hour or so from Zamora would be great as well.

Mentioned in this post
Zamora
Zamora
935 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,615 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

Ciudad Rodrigo is well worth a visit, but it's probably more than an hour from Zamora. Toro is nice enough but there's not all that much to it (beyond bodegas)

We stayed at the Parador in Zamora and liked it very much. Look out for the art nouveau houses (modernista), I asked about it at the tourist office as it was a big surprise to me, I was told that a Catalan architect settled in Zamora and "imported" the style.

Another trip for you some time: León and Astorga. Gaudí was responsible for the Bishop's Palace in Astorga, which you can visit as it is now a museum dedicated to the Camino de Santiago. There's a Gaudí building in León too but the highlight there is the cathedral

Edited: 20 October 2014, 02:13
Mentioned in this post
Ciudad Rodrigo
Ciudad Rodrigo
Province of Salamanca, Spain
Zamora
Zamora
935 Reviews
Zamora, Spain
Astorga
Astorga
Province of Leon, Spain
Level Contributor
399 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

Thanks Lynda - very helpful and interesting!

8. Re: Zamora - worth a visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 13:20
Get answers to your questions about Zamora