We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

Which Gdansk hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

The only post I can find is a year old saying they were going to start service from Gdansk to St. Petersburg. Does anyone know if it's actually running? They said it would only go a couple of times a week on the old post.

I'm trying to avoid entering Russia without paying massive VISA fees, traveling in Poland - wanting to get to Russia the quickest route possible without flying to Helsinki and taking the train.

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

There is a direct flight from Warsaw to St Petersburg... Have you considered taking it ?

Regarding the ferry, it doesn't seem to exist. There have been plans, but there is no sign they've been implemented.

San Diego
Level Contributor
111 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

I have considered taking the flight from Warsaw - may end up doing that when you add up the train fares from Helsinki plus flights. I was thinking about flying into Krakow and driving around Poland ending in Warsaw then heading to Russia - may just have to add in those Visa fees after all.

Thanks for your reply!

Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

I don't quite understand the problem with visa fees... ? Do you pay them when you enter Russia directly from Poland, but they are waived when you arrive by train from Helsinki ?

Have you considered going to the Kaliningrad area ? It's still Russia, you can get there easily from Gdańsk or even Warsaw by bus, and from there you could take a domestic flight to st petersburg.. ?

Edited: 06 March 2014, 05:38
4. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 06 March 2014, 19:05
Warsaw, Poland
Destination Expert
for Warsaw
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

:) Why ?

What's happening now will end sooner or later... Sooner, I bet. St Petersburg is really a nice city, much more European than many cities in the EU... And the press is exaggregating everything...

Edited: 06 March 2014, 06:50
Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

Hi,

You have to pay visa fees despite the place of entering Russian territory.

You can get easily by bus from Gdansk to Kalinigrad (3 hours) and then to go to St. Petersburg.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

Gdansk, Poland
Level Contributor
1,336 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

Hi,

You have to pay visa fees despite the place of entering Russian territory.

You can get easily by bus from Gdansk to Kalinigrad (3 hours) and then to go to St. Petersburg.

Kind regards

Malgorzata

8. Re: ferry from Gdansk to St. Petersburg?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 March 2015, 14:28
Get answers to your questions about Gdansk
Recent Conversations