We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Wirral, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Are we able to visit Auschwitz after 10am without a guide? I'm reading conflicting information on websites.

We'd like to do the whole visit on our own, wandering around at our own pace. Also on some information we read, it said that it was free admission until April? Any advise appreciated thanks.

20 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Until 31st March, you can visit Auschwitz I (Auschwitz II or Birkenau has unrestricted entry throughout the year) at any time without a guide (educator), but you still need a (free) ticket to enter. Go to Auschwitz Museum site and book your timed ticket and print out. It may be possible to pick up your ticket when you get there, but you may have to wait until you can enter (e.g. arriving at 10 am but the earliest available entry is 1 pm). From 1st April to the end of October, guide-less entry is only possible before 10 am or after 4 pm.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

The above is incorrect.

Between now and the end of March you must take a guided tour of Auschwitz between the hours of 10:00 and 13:00, outside of these hours you can still get free entry with an entry pass.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
696 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

I can recommend getting there early, so that you can go at your own pace.

The guided tours only cover Auschwitz I, so you can then use the shuttle bus to get to the Birkenau site and spend as much time as you want there. This site is very extensive and can take many hours to cover.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

No the guided tours cover Birkenau too, but not very extensively.

Belfast, United...
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

We booked 8.30am slot for a visit last week (took the Lajkonik 7.10am) bus. As we had visited Auschwitz numerous times we wanted to spend more time in Birkenau. However, the shuttle bus didn't come into operation until around 10.30-11.00 am. Taxis are available from museum however.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Individual visiting rule must have changed recently. Didn't know about restrictions in the winter times. When did it change?

Edited: 31 January 2018, 19:15
Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,137 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

All new regulations from January 2nd

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,312 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Thanks. Less than a month ago.

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Sorry to be a bit of a thicko. I have a free entry pass on 4 Feb at 10.40am "without an educator" - does this mean it is now void or I do I now have to pay for a tour when I get there? I got these back in November?

Thanks!

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Confused about visiting Auschwitz

Just in case I've rebooked that day for 14.20 - just to be on the safe side! Thanks anyway!

Reply to: Confused about visiting Auschwitz
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted