We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

United States
Level Contributor
24 posts
216 reviews
Save Topic
Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

Planning activities for our mid-August 2018 trip to Krakow, and as I'm looking into days to plan other side trips, I wasn't sure if there are any days of the week when the visitor counts to Auschwitz are a little lower during the peak summer season. I haven't uncovered any hints regarding this in my research online or on TripAdvisor.

We are planning to go as early as possible (once available, will be booking the before 10:00 without an educator ticket), but would appreciate insights on which day to choose for our Auschwitz visit.

I assume that weekends might be busier than weekdays, but really not sure if it is always the same degree of busy during peak times.

Our trip coincides with the August 15 national holiday which is on a Wednesday this year. Would that be a good day to go to Auschwitz as local residents would be doing something else on that date and it would just be tourists at the site?

Or maybe Sunday mornings would be slower if people might be attending church services until early afternoon?

Would appreciate any information to help in our planning. Thank you!

6 replies to this topic
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

August is very busy throughout the month. I went In November and was quite busy by 9 am. I don't think the day of the week makes much difference, as most visitors are from overseas, in organised groups. It's essential you book your (free) entry tickets as far in advance as possible, because they go quickly once released around 3 months in advance.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

You can assume August is full every day, as the ticketing system ensures the maximum number of visitors that are allowed in.

14 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

What site do u book these (free) tickets on and where do they entitle us to visit..3 of us travellin in June..TIA

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,701 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

https://visit.auschwitz.org/?lang=en

Only Auschwitz I has entry control, for which you need an entry pass. Birkenau has no such restriction.

Krakow, Poland
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

You have to wait until 3 months before the day you require to get the passes.

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Memorial+and+Museum+Auschwitz-Birkenau/@50.0274106,19.1997942,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x4716be32014dffa1:0xe8e173d6821a53c5!8m2!3d50.0274106!4d19.2019829

(copy and paste the above)

You can use google maps crowd data to get a rough idea of how busy each day of the week is (scroll down on the left hand side bar).

Don't get me wrong though, every day of the week is going to be busy. I went in January, the more quiet time of the year and it was still busy. I would say try and avoid Thursday-Sunday. It looks like Tuesday is generally the quietest day of the week, with monday and wednesday roughly similar.

Edited: 02 February 2018, 18:49
Reply to: Least crowded day of week for Auschwitz (mid-August)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Krakow