We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budapest to Zagreb, Ljubljana or Dubrovnik

San Diego
Level Contributor
88 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Budapest to Zagreb, Ljubljana or Dubrovnik

Hello – I’m at the beginning stages of planning a trip in mid May (haven’t booked flights yet) and I’m looking into going to Slovenia (Ljubljana, Bled), Croatia (Zagreb, Dubrovnik) and was trying to work in Budapest. I know these are all wonderful places to go, but for me it often comes down to the logistics of getting from place to place since I rely on planes, trains & buses. I can figure out how to get around the places in Slovenia & Croatia pretty easily, but I can’t seem to find a way to get to Budapest that won’t waste a day or cost lots of money. Flights from Zagreb/Ljubljana/Dubrovnik to Budapest all seem to be $500 or more (one way), which is more than I want to spend ($200 is probably my max). The train from Zagreb to Budapest looks to be about 6 hours, but it’s during the day – I’d really like something that would be late evening/overnight so that I’m not spending prime sightseeing hours on the train. Are there any efficient & not too expensive ways to get to Budapest from any of the other areas I want to go to? I thought I found an overnight train from Ljubljana to Budapest that took about 10 ½ hrs, but now I can’t find that info again – did I imagine it? I’m starting to think that I might have to remove Budapest just because I can’t figure out a good way to get there. Since I haven't booked flights yet I can flight into & out of different airports & I haven't determined the order to visit these cities yet so I'm flexible with that. Any ideas on a way to fit in Budapest that isn't too expensive or uses up too many daylight hours? Thanks for any input!

Mentioned in this post
Ljubljana
Ljubljana
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Bled
Bled
Upper Carniola Region, Slovenia
Croatia
Croatia
Europe
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik
Dubrovnik-Neretva County, Croatia
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Miskolc, Hungary
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Budapest to Zagreb, Ljubljana or Dubrovnik

How about a bus that leaves Zagreb at 17:25 and arrives in Budapest at 22:10?

…volanbusz.hu/ticket/wrd/run/ticmain…

It costs 3900 HUF, which is equal to approx. $17.

Mentioned in this post
Zagreb
Zagreb
Central Croatia, Croatia
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
2. Re: Budapest to Zagreb, Ljubljana or Dubrovnik

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 February 2015, 14:23