We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amount of time needed

Cary NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Amount of time needed

I am planning a 14 day trip in late Aug/early Sept. I am planning on flying into Budapest, then traveling via train to Krakaw, then on to Prague as the final destination.

Those who know something about all three of these destinations, can you please tell me if I should split my time equally between the three destinations (approximately 4.5 days each), or does one deserve more days and another fewer?

Any recommendations for day trips and/or stops along the way between cities we should include would also be appreciated.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amount of time needed

Hello luv2travelCaryNC

Your split on time looks good but will definitely depend on what you would like to do and see. (i.e. museums, historical venues, general sights etc. etc.)

Depending on this you may want to drop 1.5 days off Prague and add 1/2 day each to Krakow and Budapest and their surrounding areas and use the other half day to allot for travel between cities it will still allow you 3 full days to take in Prague and it's sights.

I might be a bit slanted on my opinion since Krakow is one of my favorite cities in Europe as well as everyone knows is Budapest too.

In Krakow you may want to add the extra time so you can take in Auschwitz and the Salt mines both interesting and fun day trips. At that time of year too maybe even an daytrip/overnight stop in Zakopane a really nice change from all the cities you will be visiting and some glorious natural scenery might just be a great way to break up a trip such as you have planned.

The extra time you add in Budapest will come in handy too after a long day of international travel, it will allow you to settle in and start to enjoy your holiday rather than having that first day rushed experience of what did I do and what did I see. Even though Budapest is a major capital city it is best experienced by slowing down and drinking it in rather than rush rush rush to see what you can see. While in Budapest if you are a wine lover maybe a day trip to Eger would suit you or perhaps even a day trip to Lake Balaton's north shore area could make for a pleasant day. Or another possibility would be to leave a day early and make time for a stopover in the nice Czech rep. town of Brno as you make your way towards Krakow thus giving you a taste and feel of the Czech Rep. other than just Prague..

Anyway just my thoughts am sure others will chime in with some ideas for you too but either way do enjoy your trip, you have picked 3 really good cities to visit.

SEBESZ

Edited: 31 January 2014, 04:25
Mentioned in this post
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Krakow
Krakow
Lesser Poland Province, Poland
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Europe
Europe
World
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
12,330 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
Zakopane
Zakopane
Eger
Eger
Heves County, Hungary
Brno
Brno
South Moravian Region, Czech Republic
Cary NC
Level Contributor
143 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amount of time needed

Thank you so much for your reply!! Super helpful. I actually posted a question on one of the other forums asking if a stop over in Brno was a good option!!!

Much of what you have said validates where I am at this point with my plan. I would like to give you a run down of my current itinerary so you can give me any additional suggestions.

Budapest - 5 days: 3 exploring Budapest. 1 day trip to Eger, and 1 day trip to Szentendre and Esztergom

Krakow - 4 days: 3 exploring Krakow. 1 day trip to Auschowitz

Stop in Brno to break up trip to Prague -

Prague - 4-5 nights (I can't really cut this portion of the trip much shorter as we are making the trip to visit my boyfriend's son who will be studying in Prague!)

We like to see historical sites, interesting architecture (castles, cathedrals, etc.), cafe's and pedestrian streets. We LOVE wine and wineries, good craft beer, good restaurants, people watching. We are very interested in seeing Auschwitz and other holocaust memorials/sites. But we are not big on museums in general. We are in good shape and usually walk to see things as it is cheaper and I feel like we see more. We don't however do much for "outdoorsy" things when on vacation (not interested in hiking or skiing).

With that in mind, I have a couple questions:

1. Should I add the salt mines to my itinerary? I had them on, but after reading mixed reviews decided I might be better using the time in Krakow.

2. I had Zakopane on my itinerary as a stop between Budapest and Krakow, but after doing a little more research, decided to take it off as it looks like a great destination for the outdoorsy type, but my time might be better spent getting right to Krakow... what do you think?

3. I have made arrangements to do a home exchange for a place to stay in Budapest. The apartment is on Liliom near the corner of Tompa. Can you tell me anything about this location and verify if it is convenient and safe?

4. If we stop in Brno, would you suggest spending a night there? Could we possibly leave on a very early train from Krakow and stop in Brno for several hours, then get to Prague later in the evening? I might need some guidance on figuring this piece of the trip out!

5. I have not looked at much for Prague yet. Are there day trips you would suggest, or would you suggest just spending the time in the city?

6. And my final question (which I think I already know your opinion on!)... I had considered doing Budapest - Vienna - Prague (rather than Krakow). I have gotten mixed opinions and Vienna would make more sense logistically. What is your opinion of that itinerary as opposed to my "current plan"?

I know this is a lot... I really, really appreciate your assistance!!

Mentioned in this post
Brno
Brno
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Eger
Eger
Heves County, Hungary
Krakow
Krakow
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Zakopane
Zakopane
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Food and Travel, World Cup, Holiday Travel, Spa Vacations, Olympics, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
4,545 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amount of time needed

Hello luv2travelCaryNC

Que: #1 ~ With you now cutting your time in Krakow down to 4 days then I would say you could skip the Salt mines if you wanted too I personally thought it was fun to see but not an absolute must. But then again how often do you get to Krakow so it will really boils down to you on that.

Que: #2 ~ Yes especially now since you mention your interests

Que: #3 ~ The location is fine not in the heart of the city but it will allow you easy access to getting around it. At to safety it is very safe as is most of Budapest do a quick search on the forums and you will see this issue has been answered over and over.

Que: #4 ~ Definitely plan on staying at least the night in Brno just a few short hours in it will not do you or it justice.

Que: #5 ~ Cesky Krumlov is a nice day trip as is Kutna Hora. Another possibility is even a day trip to Dresden visit the castle and the views are very nice plus the train journey itself to Dresden is really special some fantastic scenery.

Que: #6 ~ Yes you could do Budapest - Vienna - Brno -Prague and it would be a nice trip too. More costly since Vienna is definitely more expensive than Krakow. And again since you mention a visit to Auschwitz being a priority ...you would have to give that up.

Hope this helped

SEBESZ

Mentioned in this post
Krakow
Krakow
Budapest
Budapest
Central Hungary, Hungary
Brno
Brno
Cesky Krumlov
Cesky Krumlov
South Bohemian Region, Czech Republic
Dresden
Dresden
Saxony, Germany
Vienna
Vienna
Vienna Region, Austria
Prague
Prague
Bohemia, Czech Republic
Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum
Auschwitz-Birkenau State...
12,330 Reviews
Oswiecim, Poland
4. Re: Amount of time needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 13:19